Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by TurboHike »

Called today for an Inyo permit. First 7 or 8 calls did not get through, then I made voice contact with a ranger.

I waited a few minutes in between each calling attempt. Started calling around 8 a.m., had the emailed permit before 9 a.m. A decent experience IMO. Much better than what I had expected.
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ironmike »

Got thru on my second call yesterday morning for my Cottonwood Lakes permit (and the failure on the first call was likely my fault) using the general Wilderness Permit line. Received permit via email roughly 5 min later. Happy customer here; I’d even be willing to pay extra for this kind of service long-term.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I've gotten my last two Inyo permits (reserved ahead of time) by simply emailing SM.FS.WildPmt_Inyo@usda.gov and following the instructions listed in the reservation for the naming convention to title the email and what to include in the email body. First email request for permit was sent on July 16 and permit was received the next day on July 17. Next email request for permit was sent on August 8 and permit was received the next day on August 9. For me this is vastly preferable to either spending an hour calling in, or having to stop by the ranger station to pick up a permit in person.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm not seeing the email instructions on my permit, but I obtained it in April.
Do you a link for the instructions?
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

thx!
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by OutdoorRandy »

I know this is a well posted to thread but when I called for my July permit the Inyo National forest person said to email her directly if I have future reservations. I have an upcoming reservation that is less than 2 weeks away. I email her this afternoon with my reservation # and got an immediate reply. I had my permit emailed to me within 30 minutes. Great service!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Bishop_Bob wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:11 am I have a permit for Sabrina Lake entry in late August but I need to cancel. I thought I could cancel it on Recreation.gov but didn't see a way to do so. Am I just not seeing it on the website? Or do I need to call the ranger to cancel?
I ended up sending an email to M.FS.WildPmt_Inyo@usda.gov to cancel this permit. Got a reply within minutes, and the permit was canceled.
tnhgmia
Topix Acquainted

Post by tnhgmia »

This may be heresy but I almost want to be able to swap permits. I reserved north to south lake mid august but I really wanted something early august though nothing was available. I’m sure there’s others in that boat. In theory I can wait till “walk ins” are available but canceling in that time frame is not optimal. I am prepared to go at that time it just means I need vacation twice within 30 days! Maybe not a bad thing
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Hoover Wilderness permit quotas

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I cannot find the trail quota numbers on the Hoover Wilderness web page. Where can I get this information?