Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I called White Mountain yesterday and got through first time.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: SEKI change in reservation costs

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was dismayed when I called trying to move my permit to start a day earlier. There were two permit slots available. Unfortunately there is a $15 fee you DO NOT get back, and then you pay $15 AGAIN! That means changing a reservation costs $30!! That is outrageous.

This really makes me think that getting a permit months ahead is NOT a good idea for SEKI. There seem to be first-come permits available weekdays and perhaps it would be better to get permits sooner to the start date when plans are more solid.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

robow8 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:50 pm Here's the phone numbers for the different offices:
Lone Pine area; Eastern Sierra Visitor Center 760-876-6200 or 760-876-6222
Bishop area: White Mountain Ranger Station 760-873-2500 (press 0) or 760-873-2503
Mammoth area: Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center 760-924-5500 (press 1)
Lee Vining area: Mono Basin Scenic Area 760-647-3044
Wilderness Permit Office: 760-873-2483 (press 0)
Robow8...This post was a big help when I got my permit for the up coming week and after calling all the numbers, finally got through to someone at the Lee Vining office. I chatted briefly with the Ranger and got the impression its not at the top of their list to answer the phone, knowing that its probable yet another call for someone trying to get their permit.

Not sure why they don't let Recreation.gov be the insurer as well. They are issuing hundreds of Permits everyday but I get the impression that there is no one dedicated to just issuing. Rangers should be out rangering, not sitting by a phone hoping someone else will pick up the call.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Hi everyone,

Which agencies have a true "walk-in" permit this year that can be reserved day-of and/or the day prior?

I have my guesses - likely Stanislaus NF, Sierra NF - but wondering if someone has something more definitive.

- Oleander
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

I called White Mountain yesterday and got through first time.
The same for me today, July 26. The permit was emailed an hour or so later.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Dirtnbrews
Topix Novice

Post by Dirtnbrews »

Question regarding “walk up permits” for Inyo that are released 14 days in advance. I have been watching these the last few days and have noticed that spots will be released for the 14 days out day only. I want to do on at least a 2-3 night trip, probably north/south lake loop. Will I have to go online 3 days in a row and get 3 permits,(paying 3 separate fees) each day for 14 days out or if I request for a 3 night permit on the first day ( when only that day is available) will they issue me a 3 night permit? Thanks
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

Dirtnbrews wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:33 am Question regarding “walk up permits” for Inyo that are released 14 days in advance. I have been watching these the last few days and have noticed that spots will be released for the 14 days out day only. I want to do on at least a 2-3 night trip, probably north/south lake loop. Will I have to go online 3 days in a row and get 3 permits,(paying 3 separate fees) each day for 14 days out or if I request for a 3 night permit on the first day ( when only that day is available) will they issue me a 3 night permit? Thanks
You do not need 3 permits.

You need one permit for when you plan to enter the backcountry. When you check-out on recreation.gov, you enter your planned itinerary for 3 nights.
Dirtnbrews
Topix Novice

Post by Dirtnbrews »

Ok. So will I get the permit for three nights even if the only available day is the first day?

Example. Today they released a permit for 8-14th but nothing is available for the 15th or 16th. But tomorrow they will release permits for the 15th and the following day they will release permits for the 16th. Just wanted to confirm that I can put in for 3 nights when technically it is not available for booking.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

Dirtnbrews wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:56 am Ok. So will I get the permit for three nights even if the only available day is the first day?
Yes, it is an entrance permit, it allows to you to enter the backcountry on a specific day on a specific trail.

As a suggestion, why don't you add a permit (any permit) to your cart, click check out, and take a look at the info you need to supply, such as camping locations. Then just empty your cart. At least this way you'll become more familiar with the permitting process. good luck!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Re: Yosemite permits.

Due to a typo error on my first permit request, it got denied, two days later. I reapplied, again denied, this time because all 17 slots were taken. I applied again, after looking at the trailhead report that showed openings the next day, and added two alternate routes. Have yet to hear if that succeeded.

I am wondering if my strategy is wrong. Would it be better (or even allowed) to put in multiple requests at the same time? Is this what others are doing who seem to get all the permits? Once you actually pay for the permit, then you would be denied getting another, but during the "churn time" that permits are being all evaluated, I would at least have another one already in the pipeline.