Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have already looked through that. I am looking for the exact quota numbers for each trailhead.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

WD - Go to recreation.gov, hunt for Humboldt-Toiyable Wilderness Permits...It's possible to extrapolate daily reservable permits for each TH just by checking out Sept. 13 or 14.

Limitation, of course, is that number won't include any walk-ins.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Humboldt-Toiyabe (reservable) quotas:

Buckeye Creek 10
Green Creek 20
Horse Creek 4
Leavitt Meadow 50
Little Slide Canyon 4
Robinson Creek 25
Virginia Lakes 10
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks! Unless it has changed, Hoover Wilderness used to be 50/50 reserve/walk-in.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Hoover Wilderness was 50/50 reservable/walkup in summer 2020. Also note that some minor trailheads, such as Burt Canyon and Molybdenite Creek, have no quotas.
-Phil
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Got my permit today for Piute pass on Sept 15th for 10 days (4 slots.) Didn't have to do it at 7am. I'm thinking most are afraid that fires will strike and ruin the experience. I'm hoping for the best. Looks like they will email me the permit, unless the Covid restrictions lift and I can pick it up at the Mono lake visitor center. Email works for me.

I was going to go at ice out, but no one is available to go with then. sigh.
oleander
Topix Expert

SEKI: 2021 Lodgepole-based permits will be issued at Giant Forest Museum

Post by oleander »

Email received from SEKI today:

Subject: "Change in Lodgepole wilderness permit issuing station for 2021"

"Due to construction at the Lodgepole Visitor Center, wilderness permits for the Alta, High Sierra Trail, Twin Lakes, Lakes Trail, Lakes Trail Pass Through, and Colony Mill East entry points will be issued at the Giant Forest Museum until construction is complete.

This does not affect your permit reservation.

The Giant Forest Museum is located 16 miles (26 km) north of the Ash Mountain Entrance, and 4.5 miles south of Lodgepole. Day use parking is available across the Generals Highway from the museum; handicapped parking is available adjacent to the museum. Demand for parking can be high on weekends and holidays, particularly later in the day.

The Sequoia Parks Conservancy bookstore will operate out of the same location but will have a limited number of bear resistant food storage canisters available for rent. Therefore we recommend obtaining canisters prior to your arrival in the parks."
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Just read in the newspaper this morning that Inyo County and Merced are the worst California for COVID (purple tier). That may partly explain why the permit system seems to be more restrictive in Yosemite and eastern Sierra. IF the tier system is dropped June 15, as Newsom just announced, that may change.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I called Yosemite wilderness office this morning to resolve a lot of questions I had. Bottom line is that a lot is still uncertain. What is currently on their website is likely to change. Hopefully by mid to late May they will be certain.

This is what the person I spoke with said: in-valley shuttle service is not likely to run. Backpacker's campground and Camp 4 likely will be open. No estimate as to when Glacier Point or Tioga Pass will open. You may be able to pick up unused "walk-in" permits at the valley wilderness office, not sure yet. When you reserve an early season "walk-in" permit, things may change before you start your trip.

Given no shuttles are likely, you will have to walk to trailheads. The backpackers parking is handy for Happy Isles, but not great for Yosemite Falls trail. The person I talked to said it is OK to overnight park in the main parking area (near Yosemite Village) if it is better for your route, but just put your schedule in your car window because it is considered a "short term" over night parking lot, otherwise you may get towed or assumed missing or hurt.

When permitting a routes be sure to account for miles and time it will take to walk to and between all trailheads.

The web-camp shows grass just starting to green in Yosemite Valley!!!