Wilderness Permit Information | High Sierra Topix  

Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Wilderness Permit Information

Postby Asolthane » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:11 am

Hi everyone.

I hope we can collaborate on a spreasheet that has all relevant information needed regarding wilderness permits for High Sierra trailheads.

I have started it, and need help filling in relevant info. We can also reformat as necessary for functionality, I just got it started, and will be filling it in and tweaking it over time.

Here is a view only link, PM me if you would like to be a collaborator. If this is useful hopefully it can be maintained and added to the resource section of the site.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Asolthane
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness Permit Information Spreadsheet

Postby zacjust32 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:17 pm

I would encourage ERIC and all the other admins to find a place to put this spreadsheet. There's so many threads here asking about when, where, and how to get a permit, that I think a single reference could really help.

(p.s. SEKI walk-up permits can be picked up after 1pm the day before.)
Hiker, adventurer, fabricator, tinkerer, theologian, and occasional student. http://www.zacjust.blogspot.com
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby Asolthane » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:57 pm

Ok I'm glad it seems useful. I'd really love help filling it in and also figuring out how to best format it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Asolthane
Topix Acquainted

Postby wildhiker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:19 pm

By the way, Desolation Wilderness has a sort-of night drop - you can print off your own reserved permit online within 14 days before your trip. I just did a trip last week where I reserved my permit a couple of days in advance on recreation.gov and immediately printed it. Then I didn't have to go to the ranger station!
-Phil
wildhiker
Topix Regular

Postby el marinero » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 pm

wildhiker wrote:By the way, Desolation Wilderness has a sort-of night drop - you can print off your own reserved permit online within 14 days before your trip. I just did a trip last week where I reserved my permit a couple of days in advance on recreation.gov and immediately printed it. Then I didn't have to go to the ranger station!
-Phil

I've enjoyed that convenience. It can save some time which is always nice.
I wish more areas would allow you to print the permit at home, but I don't know of any others.
el marinero
Topix Newbie

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Postby Asolthane » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:21 pm

I have been picking away at this, trying to get it completed. Please let me know if you have suggestions or find errors...or if you use it and find it helpful in planning your trip.

I would love help filling in info
Asolthane
Topix Acquainted

Postby gary c. » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:13 pm

I really like what youare doing here.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby Asolthane » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:48 am

I found a home for this sheet at Andrew Skurka's Blog.

Here is the updated link, which I will be workign to keep updated http://andrewskurka.com/2016/high-sierr ... directory/
Asolthane
Topix Acquainted

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping