TR: Backpacking Yosemite HSC Loop 8/5-8/11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Backpacking Yosemite HSC Loop 8/5-8/11

Post by chulavista »

There is a camping ban within 100 ft from trail or water source. That prevents you from camping at the summit, but I think you can still camp nearby.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Your mileage may vary... but I deal with the water filter problem by not taking one. For forty years I have just been drinking the Sierra backcountry water and never gotten sick from it. I prefer to get water from big lakes that have lots of volume (for dilution) and have been soaking up the sun's UV radiation (for disinfection). I also like creeks that flow directly down the mountainsides with no trails above.

-Phil

P.S. - In areas with livestock grazing - for example, northern Emigrant Wilderness - I will reluctantly take a water filter. Cattle are the worst vectors for infectious organisms. I also carry a few iodine tablets just in case I end up in a spot with particularly unsavory looking water. But really, 99% of the time in the high country I can find what I consider to be good water and drink it freely without treatment.
Last edited by wildhiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

but I deal with the water filter problem by not taking one. For forty years I have just been drinking the Sierra backcountry water and never gotten sick from it. I prefer to get water from big lakes that have lots of volume (for dilution) and have been soaking up the sun's UV radiation (for disinfection). I also like creeks that flow directly down the mountainsides with no trails above.
:nod:
I do take a Steri-pen for animal (cattle) and human infested areas.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

sambieni wrote:Have you heard about the ban on Cloud's Rest camping? Ranger was very clear that it is not permissible to do so, yet I know tons folks who have done it and folks here said it was ok too.
Of course they have all done it and got away with it. People also get away with a zillion other things that are against the rules out there.

Pretty sure there are still people who leave all their food out all night, too, and have yet to pay the price.

Doesn't mean you should do it again....

I knew it was illegal, and I've told plenty of people it is, but they keep going to Clouds Rest overnight anyway. Some people don't care about that kind of thing...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I filter water anyway. not a big deal, and then i don't have to guess. Almost every animal or person has defecated above where you are on the trail and even near the water source. I appreciate the UV comment on the lake thing, but I still filter unless i'm boiling for a meal anyway. And most filters come with a cleaning kit for the field strip/clean thing. Boiled water helps to seal the deal to make sure the filter flush is done. As pointed out, YMMV. Not sure I trust Steripen yet.. Hard to know unless someone takes a non-sterile sample, treats it with the pen, and then drinks it, and then sees what happens about 2 weeks later. Volunteers?

I have broken a clogged filter down before in the field, and it really only needed some of the silicone grease and it was fine again; not a clog at all. just a bit of algae.

I'm looking at the sawyer filter but I swear by my Katadyn right until my friend stepped on the output while pumping. Of course, he was carrying a spare as I insisted.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Of course they have all done it and got away with it. People also get away with a zillion other things that are against the rules out there.
Pretty sure there are still people who leave all their food out all night, too, and have yet to pay the price.
Doesn't mean you should do it again....
I knew it was illegal, and I've told plenty of people it is, but they keep going to Clouds Rest overnight anyway. Some people don't care about that kind of thing...
I do care about the illegality of Cloud's Rest assuming that is the rule. I received very clear info on this forum (find the thread if you wish) that indicated it was acceptable assuming good weather, same on other forums, plus when we gave rough itinerary to Rangers getting our permits they did not say anything. The Ranger after the fact was the first who very clearly told us it was out of bounds. We asked about it and he explained it clearly. I would not do again and I would not encourage others to do so. I posed the question here given the very mixed info received from variety of sources, I was curious what others may say. I am still grateful for my an amazing night and will leave it at that.

Water - I will almost never drink straight from the source; not a risk I want to take. My filter was like new with maybe 30 liters under its belt before the trip. Thankfully backcountry.com is taking it back since it seems to be a warranty issue. And I intend to simply replace w same filter because I love the system. Plus I will continue to bring a backup system of some kind as well.
Thanks for the enjoyable TR and nice pictures, to bad about the phone. Well one of the many things you have learned from this trip is that you need a new filter and add an 1.5 hrs to your expected departure and/or arrival times when hiked with your buddy. :)
Totally! My buddy said next time we camp, he will bring his own tent. So with that in mind, next time, I am just gonna get up and pack out to my schedule and see him later down the trail.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

what filter were you using? Brand...
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Platypus' Gravityworks 2L
https://www.rei.com/product/849794/plat ... it-2-liter

My warmup trip near Mammoth Lakes was 2-5 minutes for my reservoir. This ran 10-15 (if not longer) for same reservoir x 2 people. Ugh.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hmm. filters seems to be a personal choice. Sticking with my choice. she gets a pre-wash before a trip and try and keep the intake clean and has worked fine for 5 years now, 10 days at a time. Good luck with what you choose/trust. Of course it'll probably be 10 months from now, unless I get a break.

I think OldRanger was sporting a sawyer and it looked very useful, If you had a tree to hang it from..
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Is that an old Mountainsmith pack, circa 1990's?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix