TR: Moose Lake, Bearpaw, Tamarack Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Moose Lake, Bearpaw, Tamarack Lake

Post by RodofJ »

This is from a couple weeks ago. My dad and I went from Wolverton to Moose Lake, then to Bearpaw Camp via Alta Meadow, day hiked to Tamarack Lake, and then went back home the next day. Mostly because of the uneven terrain off-trail, it ended up being a little bit much for my dad. We hiked pretty slowly, which made the first couple days very long. A great trip, but we put it in the "that was awesome, but we're wouldn't do it again" bin :)

Emerald or Heather lake (not sure):
EmeraldorHeather.jpg
Between Pear and Moose. This picture is a bit too small, but you can barely make out the dead tree on the ridge (seems to be a popular aiming point).
TowardsMoose.jpg
Overlooking Moose Lake.
MooseArrival.jpg
Panorama of the lake.
MoosePano.jpg
Sunset
MooseSunset.jpg
Morning reflection
MooseMorning.jpg
Alta Meadow
AltaMeadow.jpg
Nice way to end the day:
BeaerpawCoffee.jpg
Tamarack Lake:
Tamarack.jpg
Sunset the last night from at Bearpaw:
BearpawSunset.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Moose Lake, Bearpaw, Tamarack Lake

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures, nice picture of Moose Lake and Dad. Tablelands is quite pretty and if you hike beyond Moose Lake towards Big Bird Lake the views are quite beautiful, great place to hike by moonlight with all that granite too
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Wow, Moose lake sure is picturesque.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

I did a very similar trip last year with my dad (sans Bearpaw/Tamarack Lake), viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13146 ... It truly is a beautiful area indeed. Thanks for the TR and the memories!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailguru »

Wow.. I did Moose lake back in 2011. Some good memories there! It took us a good portion of the day just going from our camp at Pear lake to finally getting to Moose lake. I can't believe you did this whole trip (Including Tamarack lake in 3 days) How hard was it to get to Alta Meadow from Moose lake? Did you cross country it https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... &z=14&t=t2 by going south then west? We looked into possibly doing that but it looked very steep in all directions (but not entirely Un-doable).