Tuolumne Meadows JMT walk up permit advice needed

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Murfmobile
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Tuolumne Meadows JMT walk up permit advice needed

Post by Murfmobile »

So since the JMT has been on my bucket list since the late 90's and I have some available time I think this is the year. I will be solo and have a 19 day itinerary from TM to Whitney which includes two rest days and one resupply at MTR. I would like depart TM somewhere between 8/25- 8/30. I am looking for suggestions on securing a walk up permit. I figure mid week and show up early and hopefully being solo will help the situation. I this realistic? Since Happy Isles does not have walk up permits for the JMT I will day hike Happy Isles to TM before the trip or after I finish as I would like to somehow get Half Dome in there as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuolumne Meadows JMT walk up permit advice needed

Post by maverick »

YNP:
Unreserved permits are available on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at 11 am on the day before the intended entry date.
Go up to TM Wilderness Center around 9 am on Tuesday, stand in line and score a permit for Wed, you can spend the night at the backpackers campground with that valid wilderness permit. You can only pick up a Donohue Pass via Lyell Canyon permit at the Tuolumne Wilderness Center and don't forget that you need a permit for Half Dome, even if your day-hiking.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Murfmobile
Topix Novice

Post by Murfmobile »

Thanks Maverick! I have heard stories of people getting to the wilderness permit center super early or even sleeping there. I was trying to gauge if that is necessary or not. I am aware that I need a permit for half dome.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I have heard stories of people getting to the wilderness permit center super early or even sleeping there.
Yeah that may happen from Thursday on, but lines on Mon for Tue and Tue for Wed are not nearly as long.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steiny98 »

When we did the JMT last year beginning late August my friend drove into TM and got in line at like 2-3 AM. There were a few people in line ahead of him but he was able to secure us permits for the next day.

This thread might be helpful too: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14386
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

My husband just got walk-in permit for JMT starting Toulumne. Yes, he had to spend the night there, taking sleeping bag to permit station door, he managed to have a good sleep overall, and be the first in the line. At 9 am he got a permit for the same day since somebody called with cancellation. He would not get even next day permit if he would come in the morning, at 9 am the line was too big.
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

And it was Tuesday.
Murfmobile
Topix Novice

Post by Murfmobile »

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I will try and get there earlier rather than later.