TR - 8/5-8/8 Chewing Gum Lake - Cleanup/Restoration

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - 8/5-8/8 Chewing Gum Lake - Cleanup/Restoration

Post by maverick »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for all your hard work, for educating people about Leave No Trace concept, and on how to be Stewards of the Wilderness. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Thanks so much for the report! I would love to volunteer next year. (It is a long drive for me so I don't get up there more than once a year.) I was so sad to see the trash and mess in the wilderness. I picked up, and packed out, a ton of trash. Piute Lake also had a few illegal campsites. We also encountered several huge groups at Piute and going to Bear.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

That's great Love the Sierra! Sending a PM.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by paula53 »

Thank you to all who make the wilderness a better place to visit. That work is greatly appreciated, and sorely needed.
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

thank you for your work!
saw many examples of 'iceberged' spots in my time at Merriam Lake.
didn't know of the technique at the time-but i kept walking around the lake saying the same thing as the group you encountered..'wow that a nice flat spot, except for that big poky rock right in the middle!?' :D :rolleyes:

much needed to give these popular spots a rest.