TR - 8/5-8/8 Chewing Gum Lake - Cleanup/Restoration

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR - 8/5-8/8 Chewing Gum Lake - Cleanup/Restoration

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for your hard work. It surely will contribute to a better wilderness experience for future visitors.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbhawley1
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jbhawley1 »

The description of the trip by Michael was excellent and typifies the work we do in association with the US Forest Service. The Stanislaus Wilderness Volunteers has been in existence since 1997, incorporating in 2003. In our near 20 years of service, we have donated thousands of hours to wilderness restoration, trail clearing, wilderness visitor education including teaching Leave No Trace ethics and practices and serving as stewards of the wilderness. We work in the Emigrant, Carson-Iceberg wildernesses as well as on the Calaveras/Highway 4 side. We welcome new members or folks who want to come out with us and "try it out" - seeing if this kind of volunteerism is for them. We seek new members as well as sponsors to assist in providing equipment or funds for the causes of the wilderness. No one is paid in the organization and we rely on member dues (nominal) and grant funding. We have raised funds to provide interns to the Forest Service that Michael so eloquently praised for their hard work and dedication. If giving back is something you're considering - please visit us at www.swv1.org or google "Stanislaus Wilderness Volunteers". Thanks -- Jeff Hawley, President, Stanislaus Wilderness Volunteers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for all your hard work, for educating people about Leave No Trace concept, and on how to be Stewards of the Wilderness. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Thanks so much for the report! I would love to volunteer next year. (It is a long drive for me so I don't get up there more than once a year.) I was so sad to see the trash and mess in the wilderness. I picked up, and packed out, a ton of trash. Piute Lake also had a few illegal campsites. We also encountered several huge groups at Piute and going to Bear.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

That's great Love the Sierra! Sending a PM.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by paula53 »

Thank you to all who make the wilderness a better place to visit. That work is greatly appreciated, and sorely needed.
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

thank you for your work!
saw many examples of 'iceberged' spots in my time at Merriam Lake.
didn't know of the technique at the time-but i kept walking around the lake saying the same thing as the group you encountered..'wow that a nice flat spot, except for that big poky rock right in the middle!?' :D :rolleyes:

much needed to give these popular spots a rest.