REALLY strange trip - Part 1 | High Sierra Topix  

REALLY strange trip - Part 1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: REALLY strange trip - Part 1

Postby franklin411 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Honestly, I appreciate the work the OP put in this, but I was holding my tongue on the "if you can't say something nice" mantra. I felt that if I posted, I would have to say something about how the OP made some really, really awful, and potentially fatal, decisions. To the OP, I'd say it's better to have a nice, dull, boring experience where you come back without permanent injuries. Tendons and ligaments from sprained muscles don't always heal correctly, and scar tissue has a nasty habit of forming at critical points in the arms and legs.

franklin411
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby chulavista » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:27 pm

What year did this happen?
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Postby Cross Country » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:33 pm

This was my first bonehead trip (in 1976) but it wasn't my last. One time on a day hike I wound up at dark at Grinnel Lake with a sleeping bag a insulated pad but no shelter. I was sick with a virus too. It started to snow and I kept wipeing off the snow. I was praying for it to stop snowing. My bag was a down bag. After a short time it stopped but shortly thereafter snowed again. I was truly afraid for my life - more than ever. Thank god it stopped at about 9:30. When I wanted to go BP I was really compulsive about it. One stupid thing I never did was swim out to a rock. Only once did I cross a creek that looked dangerous. Believe it or not it was Cliff Creek (Min King) on July 25 1996 I believe. It was the largest winter snowfall I ever remembered. One time (saint) Diane and I took a 15 day trip and hiked out with no food. We had breakfast.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby Cross Country » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Pics of the 15 day trip
Attachments
Picket Lake.jpg
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby Cross Country » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:43 pm

Above Picket Lake
Below Kern Canyon
Attachments
Kern Canyon 2.jpg
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby Cross Country » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Diane pointing at and from the back of Mount Whitney
Attachments
Diane Mt Whitney.jpg
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby rlown » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:05 pm

weird.. here it looks brown, but if I run a temp filter on it in photos on Win10, the sky is blue.. A nice update to your report though..
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby sparky » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Strange trips makes things interesting. I think new experience good or bad is drinking the essence of life. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns.....
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Postby Cross Country » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:41 am

I went on several cross country trips solo but I at least didn't climb peaks or make dangerous creek crossings alone but I have to admit no one could have saved me at Cliff Creek. I told Mike that under no uncertain terms not to try to save me. I told him to hike down the creek and maybe (MAYBE!) help me. I was 53 and Mike was 14 and he was stronger crossing than I. He had lots of experience too.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby Cross Country » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:45 am

We hiked up the creek coming down from the lake under Eagle Scout Lake. It was REALLY to bad I didn't take a camera because the hike up the creek had some really excellent photo shoots. I doubt than anybody on HST has ever been up that creek.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby balzaccom » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:23 am

A couple of thoughts:

In defense of the OP, he clearly suggests that forty years ago he was not necessarily making the best decisions, and that "Mr. Hyper" was tackling challenges that were beyond normal common sense. Fair enough. We've all done that when we were young and immortal.

I enjoyed reading about it, and remembering what some of my trips were like back in those days. For those of you who are younger---it WAS different back then, if only because of the equipment we took!

On the other hand, CrossCountry, I wouldn't take your side of that bet for second about Eagle Scout Lake. The people on these boards have convinced me over the years that there are very few nooks or crannies in the Sierra that haven't been explored by someone here. It is a remarkable and remarkably experienced community we have here.
Balzaccom

check out our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
balzaccom
Topix Fanatic

Postby John Harper » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:36 am

Wow, talk about someone needing some "positive reinforcement." Very interesting and exciting TR. Best report I've ever read, magnificent.

Just remember: "You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn, people really like you."

John
John Harper
Topix Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping