REALLY strange trip - Part 1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: REALLY strange trip - Part 1

Post by franklin411 »

Honestly, I appreciate the work the OP put in this, but I was holding my tongue on the "if you can't say something nice" mantra. I felt that if I posted, I would have to say something about how the OP made some really, really awful, and potentially fatal, decisions. To the OP, I'd say it's better to have a nice, dull, boring experience where you come back without permanent injuries. Tendons and ligaments from sprained muscles don't always heal correctly, and scar tissue has a nasty habit of forming at critical points in the arms and legs.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by chulavista »

What year did this happen?
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

This was my first bonehead trip (in 1976) but it wasn't my last. One time on a day hike I wound up at dark at Grinnel Lake with a sleeping bag a insulated pad but no shelter. I was sick with a virus too. It started to snow and I kept wipeing off the snow. I was praying for it to stop snowing. My bag was a down bag. After a short time it stopped but shortly thereafter snowed again. I was truly afraid for my life - more than ever. Thank god it stopped at about 9:30. When I wanted to go BP I was really compulsive about it. One stupid thing I never did was swim out to a rock. Only once did I cross a creek that looked dangerous. Believe it or not it was Cliff Creek (Min King) on July 25 1996 I believe. It was the largest winter snowfall I ever remembered. One time (saint) Diane and I took a 15 day trip and hiked out with no food. We had breakfast.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Pics of the 15 day trip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Above Picket Lake
Below Kern Canyon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Diane pointing at and from the back of Mount Whitney
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

weird.. here it looks brown, but if I run a temp filter on it in photos on Win10, the sky is blue.. A nice update to your report though..
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Strange trips makes things interesting. I think new experience good or bad is drinking the essence of life. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns.....
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I went on several cross country trips solo but I at least didn't climb peaks or make dangerous creek crossings alone but I have to admit no one could have saved me at Cliff Creek. I told Mike that under no uncertain terms not to try to save me. I told him to hike down the creek and maybe (MAYBE!) help me. I was 53 and Mike was 14 and he was stronger crossing than I. He had lots of experience too.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

We hiked up the creek coming down from the lake under Eagle Scout Lake. It was REALLY to bad I didn't take a camera because the hike up the creek had some really excellent photo shoots. I doubt than anybody on HST has ever been up that creek.