Locked Bear Boxes at Kearsarge Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Locked Bear Boxes at Kearsarge Lakes

Post by ironmike »

What gets me worked up is that hikers will put their bear canisters in a bear box, which obviously takes up a lot of space for no real advantage. 😡🤦‍♂️
Shiker
Topix Novice

Post by Shiker »

ironmike wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:51 pm What gets me worked up is that hikers will put their bear canisters in a bear box, which obviously takes up a lot of space for no real advantage. 😡🤦‍♂️
Yes, a lot of people do this and it is mystifying as to why they would feel the need to do this...
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Shiker wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:25 pm
ironmike wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:51 pm What gets me worked up is that hikers will put their bear canisters in a bear box, which obviously takes up a lot of space for no real advantage. 😡🤦‍♂️
Yes, a lot of people do this and it is mystifying as to why they would feel the need to do this...
I was at Little Yosemite Valley once and the ranger checking permits told us to put our bearcan in the bearbox. Maybe even less of an incentive for the bear if he doesn't see anything?
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Ok, so no more lockers, due to laziness and abuse.
The reason bears were a problem in the first place was people being too lazy to correctly hang food and garbage in the BC. So I am not surprised at this advent.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.