Campsite-Tent match-mismatch

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Campsite-Tent match-mismatch

Post by balance »

Freestanding MSR Hubba because: I'm up above treeline as much as possible, and trying to get stakes in the ground is often just not going to happen. Finding a couple of rock anchors is okay, but finding eight or ten suitable rocks for a tarptent could become ridiculous. Also, finding a large enough tent site can be difficult even with the Hubba.

I've gone with just a bivvy sack for three day trips when the weather was fairly predictable, but you can't count on weather forecasts any longer than that (sometimes not even that long). I really, really dislike the idea of running for the trees if the weather kicks up. Isn't the whole point to be up in the high country and experience whatever nature has in store?

Well, maybe not for some people.

However, I sure do like the idea of saving one and a half pounds. That Hexamid Solo Plus looks pretty good. I just don't know.

If someone would like to give me $525 to buy a Hexamid Solo Plus, I could try it out and give you a more definitive answer. I'm just trying to be helpful. I am a helpful person, I guess.
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Campsite-Tent match-mismatch

Post by cefire »

"If someone would like to give me $525 to buy a Hexamid Solo Plus, I could try it out and give you a more definitive answer. I'm just trying to be helpful. I am a helpful person, I guess."

Haha, thanks for your help. If only there were someway to repay it... \:D/