Agnew to Donahue to Tuolumne?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Agnew to Donahue to Tuolumne?

Post by Tonydavid »

Thank you FeetFirst….just ordered the map and will have on Friday! Got the Caltopo's too. Any other route tips?
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Tonydavid wrote:Any other route tips?
Tuolumne Meadows Grill closes at 5PM and usually shuts off the burners a half hour early. Plan accordingly.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tom Harrison Maps are great.

Things to do places to see:

- Day hike up to Iceberg Lake from Ediza

- Day hike from the inlet stream up from Ediza to the beginning of the Ritter/Banner Saddle route area and if interested climb the ridge to get a peek at the Nydiver Lakes Basin.

- Western end of Garnet Lake is very pretty

- Western end of 1000 Is Lake has spectacular Indian Paint Brush (Would say hiking up to Catherine Pass but that is maybe to much)

- Views toward Banner from Island Pass, especially at Sunrise

- Davis Lakes has beautiful Indian Paint Brush

- Marie Lakes are worth visiting, pretty lakes

- Upper Lyell Canyon

Lyell Canyon and especially 1000 Is Lakes have serious bear problems, store food properly and keep a clean campsite.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tonydavid »

Great tips. I have noted all of them on my maps! Thank you!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Oh, the most recent Mosquito Report says they are in the 4-5 range at Ediza, 5 being the worst, be prepared!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tonydavid »

YIKES! Got sleeves/pants and Deet. will buy nets. Could be trip killer. My 13 year old son is very attractive to the buggers and the bite seem to flair up on him. He therefore is freaked out about them. Hum.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

There are 4 permits left for the 4th of Aug on the High Trail out of Agnew and some for the 3rd, 24th and 28th for the River Trail (your best choice, less steep than the High Trail), you may consider pushing your trip back.

Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tonydavid »

Mav….you are SO nice to spot that and let me know. I appreciate you help SO much. Unfortunately, I can't push trip back into August. Maybe you can suggest the mosquitoes take a vacation till August!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Maybe you can suggest the mosquitoes take a vacation till August!
Wish I could, it would definitely be a permanent one. :unibrow: