north lake campground

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

north lake campground

Post by frozenintime »

hey all

sorry in advance for this request that you predict the future, but your vast years of experience with and consideration for the sierra compels me to ask...

...how early would you think a group of three would have to arrive at the north lake campground to be sure of getting a site on friday september 2 (i.e. right before labor day)?

i gather it's a small (10 spots?) campground -- but have no idea how busy it tends to be.
i will not hold any of you to your prediction :)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: north lake campground

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are also some walk-in campsites in addition to the ten regular campsites. There were no sites when we were there last Fall, but we found nice sites at the Intake campground just before you turn onto the North Lake road. You have to vacate a campsite at 11AM, so that is when most are available and quickly snatched by waiting cars. You may check on the website to see when each campsite requires you to vacate. Each campground may be slightly different.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Here is a list of campground just in case: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 4&actid=29
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

hey there

ah, i didn't know the 11 AM bit, thank you. we'll be coming from the bay, so probably won't be there anywhere near that early.

thanks for the link maverick, i know there are quite a few campgrounds in the area -- just figured north lake was closest to our ultimate destination, which is the trailhead.

another simple question that is hard to answer online: we may leave our car at south lake and hitch beforehand, but if not, where is long term parking around the north lake/piute trailhead? very hard to tell with all these different campgrounds, etc.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

where is long term parking around the north lake/piute trailhead?
You can park at the trailhead/backpackers parking lot long term, on the western end of the lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I was shut out there once, and we just changed into our hiking clothes and headed up the trail for about a mile. Near the creek but up on a berm.

as stated, the long term parking is a right turn before you head up towards the campground. The walk of shame. Have to do it anyway and it stretches the legs. If I can't get a spot in the campground, I drop everyone off and the gear and drive back down to park and hike back up.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

as always, thanks for your help.

this is a very positive corner of the internet.