Sequoia/Kings: First come first serve wilderness permits?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rsellers
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Sequoia/Kings: First come first serve wilderness permits?

Post by rsellers »

Hi all!

Our two night car camping trip (Stony Creek) has changed shape into 1 night car camping + 1 night out on a wilderness trail - hopefully!

To successfully pull off a July 16th 2016 wilderness overnight, I'm thinking my only resort this late in the game is to wake up early on the 16th and hope for a first come first serve wilderness permit (two of us).

Does anybody have suggestions as to how and where to go about this? First time in the park.
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Sequoia/Kings: First come first serve wilderness permits

Post by sheperd80 »

If your backpcking into Jennie Lakes Wilderness you just do a self-registration at the trailhead, no permit required. But if you plan to hike into the national parks then you need to grab a permit. Just show up at the Grant Grove or Lodgepole Visitor Center a little before 7 to get a walk-up permit. In my limited experience showing up at 630 is plenty early, ive always been first in line and had no trouble getting one, including popular trails on busy days. Ymmv.

Theyll ask where youre staying and what your food storage method is. If there are no bear boxes at your designated camp theyll require a bear can, which you can rent then and there. Again this is just for staying in the parks though. I dont think Jennie Lakes has these requirements.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
rsellers
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by rsellers »

Awesome, thank you for the reply sheperd.

I have a bear canister for the two of us. Lodgepole looks to be the closest visitor center to stony creek campground.

I am currently diving into the "wilderness trip planner" PDF and it looks as though each wilderness trail has a "Daily Entry Quota R/W" for reserved and walkup. Am I right in presuming the walk-up technique is to show up before 7am at the visitor center and secure a permit for the day of? Seems like a silly question but just want to wade through the nuances correctly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST! Please read this thread: viewtopic.php?t=14265&p=106437#p106379
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

FWIW, Last Monday, the 4th, when we got back to Lodgepole around 10:30am, there were walkups available for all of the Lodgepole trails that day.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Also something to think about, going through Jennie to places into Kings Canyon (Sugarloaf, Ranger Lake, etc) may require Grant Grove, though I think they can call it in from Lodgepole without a problem I'd assume (if I remember correctly). From Stony Creek, getting to Jennie Lake (and not needing a permit) should be a breeze and beautiful.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

rsellers wrote:Awesome, thank you for the reply sheperd.

I have a bear canister for the two of us. Lodgepole looks to be the closest visitor center to stony creek campground.

I am currently diving into the "wilderness trip planner" PDF and it looks as though each wilderness trail has a "Daily Entry Quota R/W" for reserved and walkup. Am I right in presuming the walk-up technique is to show up before 7am at the visitor center and secure a permit for the day of? Seems like a silly question but just want to wade through the nuances correctly.
Yes, u get walk-up permits on the day of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
canyonfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by canyonfish »

The last time I did a walk up permit in SEKI was in 2014, and it became available the day before @ 11:00 AM. If you will be in the area any way you may want to look into this.