TR: The Great Mono Loop - July 2-5, 2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bandguy5686
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: The Great Mono Loop - July 2-5, 2016

Post by bandguy5686 »

This is a really nice report-great photos. Talk to me a bit about how you get the awesome star photos at night please. I'd like to get those too!

After I go to Matterhorn Canyon, this one goes next on my list! Thanks so much for sharing!
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

Excellent trip report, thank you for the details.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

@bandguy5686 -- If you want a sharp Milky Way photo, you get about 20 seconds or less of exposure before the rotation of the Earth blurs the stars. So, what can you do in 20 seconds or less? ... First, I maximize ISO (6400 on my camera), and second I open the aperture to let in as much light as possible (the lowest f-stop is 1.8 on my camera). I use a Sony RX100, which can do all this stuff in a very lightweight body.
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

VHSVHS.
thanks for the TR and sharing this cool loop. this is definitely now on my radar!
in a few weeks I'm going to be following the first day and a half of your route-then veering off to Dancing Bear and Bear Lakes Basin before continuing onto the car via Feather Pass/Merriam/Pine Creek Pass.

I've always looked at Fourth Recess and Pioneer Basin as destinations id like to explore, via Mono Pass/Mosquito Flats, this loop however is a great way to expand that idea, and not just do a simple out and back. As you mention, id try for five days-the extra day spent cruising up to and around Pioneer.

thanks again. oh, and i like the name you gave the loop as well..nice ring to it ;)
vinjo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by vinjo »

Thanks for the great trip report. Beautiful pictures,Granite Park is awesome! Did a trip to the Bear Lakes Basin a while back,good memories.