HST must-hit stops?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: HST must-hit stops?

Post by maverick »

Your welcome and please post a TR of your trip when you get back Walter. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by walterfredo »

My last post in this thread was July 8 2016. The following day my wife and daughter were in a car accident, and my wife fractured her pelvis in three places. Long, long recovery. Sparing the details, Wife and daughter are now both fine.

Trip has been rescheduled for this summer! Wondering what some of you think the snow and water crossings situation will be like in mid July this year?
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

The only potentially bad creek crossing that I can remember - it wasn't bad when I was there in August - is the creek crossing that has a steep drop off shortly before Hamilton Lakes. There are several creek crossings along the Kern, but they are relatively flat and I imagine tame even during high run off. Enjoy the trip. The view of the Big Arroyo from Kaweah Gap was amazing when I got there as the sun was setting. After a long exposed leg pounding descent to the Kern River, the hot springs and river were pretty nice too. The reason for leaving early to get up Whitney is to make sure you get to the Portal at a decent hour. Some also want to be at the summit for sunrise. Also, I heard they aren't allowing camping beyond Crabtree Meadow now. You might want to confirm that and plan accordingly such as an early start.
walterfredo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by walterfredo »

thanks. So are you saying there is no camping allowed at Guitar Lake now?