TR: Twin Lakes, Desolation Wilderness, July 1-2

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Twin Lakes, Desolation Wilderness, July 1-2

Post by FeetFirst »

I took my five year old son up to Twin Lakes over the weekend for some good old-fashioned fun. We made it to the half-empty trail head at about 11AM on Friday and hiked in/up the 3 miles/1,200 ft. to Twin Lakes. By 4PM the boy was wetting a line and sure enough caught his very first, all-by-himself, fish! He even helped clean & cook the bounty and mentioned that it was the best thing he's ever tasted. Proud dad right here.

After dinner we enjoyed a quiet evening in the basin with only one other family (mom & dad and two kids) nearby. Just as the stars started to shine the little guy started nodding off so off to bed we went. Around midnight or so I went back out to ponder the Milky Way for a bit.

The next morning started early with the boy eager to fish, which we did for about an hour. Breakfast, break camp, and on the trail by 8AM. The walk back down was nice and the boy and I had some great conversations. We were home by early afternoon to get ready for an Independence Day block party.

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Twin Lakes, Desolation Wilderness, July 1-2

Post by TahoeJeff »

Great Father/Son trip!
I did the same thing with my son back in 2012: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8022&p=58299#p58299
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very cool trip, thanks for sharing it. Photo's of him fishing are classics. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thanks, guys.

Jeff, I just read your report - good stuff. It looks like our boys fished from the same rock at Twin. Agreed about the sherpa/guide aspect and like you I'm banking on him returning the favor when dear old dad can't hack it ;) .
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Electra
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Electra »

Well Done!
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Nice report, and very encouraging. My girl just turned 5 and I was thinking I'll take her for her first trip sometime next summer.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

Great trip, FeetFirst, way to start them young!! We're taking my brother's 7yo boy up to SF Big Pine Creek again this year (he was 5 when we took him on his first Sierra backpack), base camping at Finger Lake and going to see how far we can make it up Middle Palisade. Can't wait!!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

What a great trip! The action photos of your son are priceless. It is great to see young ones enjoying the High Sierra.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thanks again for the kind comments everyone.

Eric, Absolutely take your little one up next summer. Sure it's a bit of extra work for the parents, but not as bad as Disney Land, Chuck-E-Cheese, etc. :lol: Seriously though my son really enjoys himself out there as I'm sure most kids do.

Pulpit, Finger Lake to Middle Palisade, nice! Now that's a trip he'll never forget. I hope to get my son into the high Sierra soon. He starts getting antsy around hour 2 in the car, so I try to be mindful of that. Coming from Sacramento my options are bit limited in that respect. Hopefully he'll withstand car time as he gets older. Either that or I'll have to break up the road trip somehow. Anyways, have fun!

Mav & GB, I took quite a few shots of him fishing. He's practiced casting with a mini tennis ball tied to the end of his line in our backyard for the past year and a half and it's really paid off. This kid can cast & retrieve the lightest of lures (PM 1/32 oz.), in wind, with ease! He manages the line well and knows to keep the lure off the bottom away from snagging rocks. I didn't really have to help him much at all. Way better than I was at his age.
Espi
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Espi »

Great trip! My almost 3 YO daughter is still a little young for backpacking trips but its something I am looking forward to in the future. Thanks for sharing the pictures.