TR: JMT/PCT for Ediza and Thousand Islands 7/1-7/3

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: JMT/PCT for Ediza and Thousand Islands 7/1-7/3

Post by brandy »

sambieni wrote: Of the 8-9 or so tents in Ediza area, 6-7 were in what is off limits terrain.
I can attest to the fact that this was true of the time we were there as well. We arrived on the 3rd and left on the 5th. There was a group camped high up on the rocks immediately to the left as we gained view of the lake coming in on the trail. Then a couple of groups prior to the Iceberg trail and around the inlets. We watched all of those groups depart on the 4th and they were replaced later that day with people camping in the exact same spots. I wandered up south of the southwest inlet as I was directed here, but there were more people camped up there than there were on the west side of the lake...must have been HST lurkers. ;) We ended up on the west side of the lake, up in the trees.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I wandered up south of the southwest inlet as I was directed here, but there were more people camped up there than there were on the west side of the lake...must have been HST lurkers.
:lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Over the last couple decades there has been considerable push back by some who apparently have influence on issues of signage in backcountry areas with the more extreme eager to even do away with trail junction and mileage signs. Personally I see SOME signage as a most effective pragmatic solution to some backcountry simple functionality and misuse issues given very limited enforcement. One wonders if those opposing actually have an agenda of keeping the status quo where significant numbers of visitors comply much like they do with our 65 mph vehicle speed limits because it gives them more excuses. But that is a discussion for a thread of its own.

As to your input sambieni, your point is you did not know where the legal camp zone was, thus my obvious question following from my above comment is why didn't you simply pull out your permit information that has the crude map attached?

You also state " Clearly NOBODY is getting the message and I do not think you can chalk it up to callousness or willful ignorance."

Well that is of course untrue and expect you are just making use of informal conversational exaggeration, as the majority of visitors are quite aware of the restrictions and do camp in the legal zone probably because they did look at the permit information. And not a few that don't have a clue which we need another method to reach are likely those visitors that do not even have a wilderness permit. An obvious issue now rampant near the big thru hiking trails. For that reason alone a sign as I noted at the creek crossing bridge would have value and be appropriately placed. But there is practically zero chance signs will ever be posted directly at most locations indicating no camping or no campfire elevations because as related above, a consensus compromise of very limited signage is practically all that might actually happen in this era. The primary solution as Maverick related is to "... make sure we (enthusiasts) know the regulations before setting out into it".

As an example of what is acceptable, notably I do like how on a minority of wilderness trails, a local backcountry ranger taking initiative into their own hands may put up a sign at trail wilderness borders listing the basic policies plus specifics in whatever zone.

In any case sambieni use this as a minor learning experience, as you obviously have our considerate steward attitudes.

David
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

There a quite a few nice perches above the north-northwest shores of Ediza.

Easy beach access too :unibrow: :
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

SSSdave wrote:O

As to your input sambieni, your point is you did not know where the legal camp zone was, thus my obvious question following from my above comment is why didn't you simply pull out your permit information that has the crude map attached?

David
Here you go: :soapbox:
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

sambieni wrote:
SSSdave wrote:O

David
Here you go: :soapbox:
The horse was long since beaten...
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

Great trip report, lots of great info for me considering I'm planning a trip very similar to this later this month. Couple of questions if you don't mind. I'm having a hard time figuring out where I will park my car. I'm in the same boat as yourself- driving up from LA/OC area and I can't seem to find any info on where to leave my car in the mammoth lakes area for 3/4 nights while I'm on the trail. Any suggestions? Also, did you need reservations for shady rest CG? Do you know if you can get a permit for Agnew meadows to 1000 island lake from the lone pine visitors center?

Thanks for the informative write up and photos!

-Nick
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Couple of questions if you don't mind. I'm having a hard time figuring out where I will park my car. I'm in the same boat as yourself- driving up from LA/OC area and I can't seem to find any info on where to leave my car in the mammoth lakes area for 3/4 nights while I'm on the trail. Any suggestions? Also, did you need reservations for shady rest CG? Do you know if you can get a permit for Agnew meadows to 1000 island lake from the lone pine visitors center?
You can drive down to Agnew Meadow before 7 am or after 7 pm, or park at Mammoth Ski Lodge, purcahse ticket, and take the shuttle down.

Self register and pay kiosk at Shady Rest Campground, take some small bills.

You can pick get a permit at any of the Inyo NF Visitor or Ranger Station.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

So the mammoth ski area has a "long term" parking area? I was told by someone at a gear shop up there that the only place I might be able to park is at the park and ride on old mammoth road, but even he wasn't sure, and there's not a lot of info online
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have parked many times at the parking lot across the road from the Mammoth Mountain Lodge, not the one directly across from the Lodge in front of the Yodler Restaurant and Bar, but the larger one a little east of that one.

NFS writes:
Leave Hwy 395 at Hwy 203 to the town of Mammoth Lakes. Turn right on Minaret Road and go to Mammoth Mountain Adventure Center (Main Lodge) for long term parking and to board the mandatory shuttle to the trailhead. Shuttle stop #1 is Agnew Meadows.

Parking:
Backpacker parking at Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... iver+Trail