TR: Dusy Basin 6/24-30

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Dusy Basin 6/24-30

Post by SSSdave »

One reason that area is so scenic is because of the colorful metamorphic rock about Chocolate Peak. The minerals are also apparently beneficial for many wildflower species that by mid July become abundant. On the other hand Dusy Basin that has granite geology has only modest flowers during its summer peak in early August.

For your sleep issues you might try and design with double thick foam, a short pad with a cut out where your hip would lie. Find a place that carries foam sheets for repairing furniture. A place near me that has tons of interesting stuff:

http://www.bobsfoam.com/directions.php

Good siting location in Dusy first night, well done. Always an issue anywhere in Dusy Basin because it is so treeless and open, is privacy. Most visitors on their way to Knapsack Pass travel on the other, east side, of that lake. That west side further back from the peaks also allows better views. Nice morning perspective for this early time of summer of your Lake 10742 image that looks very nice with the snow. Nicely accomplished fishing at 11393, well done.

I dislike digital touch screens on cameras too for just that reason. More expensive digital cameras in this era like my A6000 may have electronic viewfinders that in bright outdoor light are far easier to deal with the many menu settings. Although mine has a big LCD display that most people tend to use, I've covered it with black Gorilla duct tape because it tends to be distracting due to reflections while looking into the viewfinder eyepiece even if the LCD is turned off.

Your pink flowers at Bishop Lake are alpine laurel, kalmia polifolia. I first visited Dusy Basin in 1981 when I also climbed Agassiz. In 1986 climbed Columbine and since have had a notion for sleeping atop the summit that consists of enormous talus blocks. For photographers, the best late light on the Palisade peaks occurs late August into early September as the sun becomes less blocked by peak 12668 while not yet being blocked to the west by Black Giant. An added bonus at that time of year is mosquitoes are long gone while during most years there are still areas of snow about shady areas. My last visit to Dusy was in 2003 but have been thwarted returning since. One of the best locations in the Sierra to base camp at several days with much possible of interest.
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

lovely trip report as always!
loved to hear of somebody else scoring at the uppermost Dusy Lake.
my buddy and i spent a few nights there last year and had so much fun fishing-and fortunately catching ;)- a few big beauties from the rock peninsula on the southern shore. so awesome how it drops into deep dark water..

thanks too for calling attention to the other lakes in the area-as you mention that most people(myself included) blow right by.

i'll make a point to return to the region to further explore and enjoy.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for your trip report and beautiful photos! It's nice to see thIs area without snow:)
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

terrific report. Considering trying to grab a permit for this area over LD.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings Wandering Daisy

Would it be possible to take a sturdy plastic bag with you, and fill it with cold water, or better yet snow? You might use this to "ice" your hip in the evening, which would help to reduce any inflammation brought on by hiking.

Thank you for an enjoyable trip report.

Peace.
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

Thanks for the report. interesting writing, great photos.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry for the month-late reply, SSS Dave. Although I agree that spending a week in Dusy Basin would be great, I was informed when I got my permit that there now is a limit of 2 nights in Dusy Basin. I am not above a little "stealth camping" if need be. Stupid regulation- although the trail was full of PCT and JMT hikers, I did not see ANYONE else camped there.