Advice Request

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Advice Request

Post by sheperd80 »

I have a few days off at the beginning of August and am looking for advice on a great trip for 2.

Group Experience Level: 2.5
Comfort Level: x-country travel, minor crossings, minor snow travel, 10 miles a day or less
Interest: alpine exploration, fishing, atleast some hope of solitude
Group size: 2
Trip Length: 2 or 3 nights

Prefer west side entry but east side is possible. Sabrina Basin certainly sounds appealing after reading the recent TR here. Destinations out of Edison, Florence et al would be ideal, but open to other entry points. Im wanting to avoid the popular NP hangouts.

Out and back, loop or even a shorter thru-hike would be fine, we have some flexibility in transportation options with one exception, no east to east through hikes requiring pick up and drop off. East side entry would have to be out and back or loop.

My partner wants to hike section 1 of the JMT (permits already reserved) but i have no interest in a cattle drive. I need to present an appealing option with high alpine lakes, decent fishing potential and scenery. A bivouac style trip is appealing as well. Hiking into a high basin and spending a couple days fishing exploring and peak bagging. Ive considered Humphries and Sabrina Basins, but feel that our limited time out may not allow best use of these areas.

We'll most likely leave Fresno Wednesday afternoon and sleep at or near trailhead. Then spend Thursday and Friday night out, hiking back Saturday.

Any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice Request

Post by tlsharb »

Well, if you don't mind a little "headlight" hiking: go to Courtright and hop on the Maxson Meadows trail. Hike into Post Corral Wed evening (takes about 3-4 hours). Thursday head up the hill to Rae Lake in Red Mtn. basin (5.5 miles). Spend Thursday and Friday exploring the basin. Then head home. Some great lakes to fish up there, and the view is gorgeous.
terry
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Westside:
Edison>Graveyard Lakes>Peter Panda Lake/Anne Lake (3 nights, 4 if possible)
Edison>JMT>Apollo/Orchid Lake>JMT>Edison (3 nights, 4 if possible)

Eastside:
Mosquito Flat>Pioneer Basin>Golden Lake>Mosquito Flat
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Ive done some reading and these all look like great suggestions. Red Mtn Basin and Graveyard stand out to me. Friends have told me about hiking to Graveyard and all the routes they wanted to try out up there if they had more time. My only problem with Red Mtn is the slightly longer entry hike leaving less free time in the basin, but i might be able to add a night.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep em comin!

Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

3 nights and if you don't mind 5400 elevation gain go to Grouse Lake from Kings Canyon
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Forgot the pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

5400 ft would be a challenge for me, probably impossible for my partner. Looks beautiful though.

wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

From Fresno, the road to Clover Meadow by the western part of the Ansel Adams Wilderness shouldn't take any longer than driving to Florence or Edison Lakes. This always feels to me like the most remote trailhead in the Sierra, and I've never had problems getting a walk-up permit there for a small group. Plenty of attractive lakes here without too much elevation gain. Lady Lake is lovely and close in for a first night. Be sure to climb up the slope a bit above the lake for great views across the basin. Then head past Lillian Lake and perhaps to Rutherford Lake for the second night.

-Phil
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Thanks phil ive actually hiked that area quite a bit. In fact my avatar photo was taken on the way to Lillian. That group of trailheads has been one of my favorite launch points. Eventully id like to do a lollipop over Isberg Pass into Clark Range and back over Fernandez. Thats a longer trip though.

The only thing i dont like is the nearby pack station. I have a whole list of gripes about that, but i wont go there now. :-/

highsierraguy
Topix Novice

Post by highsierraguy »

maverick wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:25 pm Westside:
Edison>Graveyard Lakes>Peter Panda Lake/Anne Lake (3 nights, 4 if possible)
Edison>JMT>Apollo/Orchid Lake>JMT>Edison (3 nights, 4 if possible)

Eastside:
Mosquito Flat>Pioneer Basin>Golden Lake>Mosquito Flat
Could you give any more details about a route up to these lakes? Also been looking at Cirque Lake as well...