trip report Weaver Lake 2 night, Jennie Lake Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Etchilds
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

trip report Weaver Lake 2 night, Jennie Lake Wilderness

Post by Etchilds »

Nice 2 nighter at Weaver Lake. The mosquitos were pesky at Weaver at dawn and dusk but no bites. We were swarmed shortly past the trailhead by them as we were adjacent to Fox Meadow but then they disappeared for rest of hike in. The trail was generally good except one section after entering the Wilderness boundary where the additional run off came down the trail. Muddy and slippery on the roots but easily passable. It was maybe 15 yards. We had four water crossings: all easy. The most difficult was at the lake outlet because the water levels are high and the logs to get across are partially submerged and not stable on the lake bed. Its not too difficult to get across about 10 yards below the outlet however the low brush will scrap legs if in shorts. The campsites are nice and well defined. There was only one other group there and a couple of day fishermen. There are a few small snow fields remaining but melted visibly over the 2 days we were there. I took a newbie and she had some difficulty with the trail steepness but able to make it. There is a lot of new growth in the trees and a lot of pine sap on the ground.

A note of caution if swimming/wading in the lake. Watch for fish hooks in the rocks. We packed out 3 from 3 different locations all in the rocks along the water line.

The road to fox meadow was fairly potholed and although we had a high clearance vehicle, we were jostled going in/out. I don't think to would be easy with a low clearance vehicle.

Attaching pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: trip report Weaver Lake 2 night, Jennie Lake Wilderness

Post by maverick »

A note of caution if swimming/wading in the lake. Watch for fish hooks in the rocks. We packed out 3 from 3 different locations all in the rocks along the water line.
Thanks for the TR, pictures, and the heads up on the fish hooks, that could be very unpleasant.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Awesome trip! Love that lake, and I've been there more times than I can count. How was the weather? Any snow on the trail?
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailguru »

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.80541,-11 ... ineralking

Can anyone tell me if the snow conditions shown on ACME mapping is recent satellite imagery? It seems accurate for some reason and from what I've been researching.
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

Beautiful stuff! I do love that lake as well, especially from Fox Meadow cutoff. Nice and quick to get up there. On the road in, how did the campground look? Was there any visible issues from the Rough Fire? If memory serves, it reached the road around the boulder creek bridge, which is after the cutoff, so I guess my question is was there any evidence around the campground area that you saw?
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Trailguru wrote:http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.80541,-11 ... ineralking

Can anyone tell me if the snow conditions shown on ACME mapping is recent satellite imagery? It seems accurate for some reason and from what I've been researching.
Please start a separate thread in the Conditions Reports and Information forum.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

Cslaght, there's no visible fire damage from Big Meadows road until past horse corral, which is backburn. All the fire was a ridge north

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted

Post by joshuacourter »

May I post your trail report on my Jennie Lakes Wilderness website for others to benefit from? Let me know :)
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

Thanks Zac! That's what I was thinking was the case. I'm hoping to get up that way soon.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles