TR Take 2: Meysan Lakes 6/4/16 -6/5/16

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR Take 2: Meysan Lakes 6/4/16 -6/5/16

Post by Bruce B »

Hi everyone,

After struggling to get hotlinks from Google Photos to work in this post, I gave up on Google and uploaded the photos directly to this site. Problem solved, I think. Anyway, on with the TR...

I headed up Meysan Lakes trail to Camp Lake last weekend with my dog, Ozzy. This was our first time on the Meysan Lakes trail. The weather was perfect. The trail was clear of snow to Camp Lake except for a few small patches above 10,000 feet.

We stayed at the Whitney Portal Campground the night before. Getting up at sunrise, I couldn't pass up a classic shot of Mt. Whitney in the morning light.
DSC00309.jpg
I always smile when I pass these signs, especially when I see snow-covered peaks ahead on the trail. Good times are ahead!
DSC00543.jpg
Ozzy waiting for me to catch up so we can visit Grass Lake, which is behind and below him in this picture.
DSC00346.jpg
After visiting Grass Lake and having lunch, we continued on to Camp Lake. We arrived there midday. It was surprisingly hot in the sun even at 11,000 feet. We relaxed in the shade and took in the view until the sun got a little lower. This is the small but beautiful Camp Lake.
DSC00430.jpg
The sun about to dip behind the peaks to the west.
DSC00434.jpg
Our campsite. No rainfly needed with weather like this.
DSC00401.jpg
DSC00422.jpg
The winds were strong that evening. It was tough to get a completely sharp night photo with my small, lightweight tripod balanced on a boulder.
DSC00466.jpg
He's up at first light for breakfast, then right back to the tent to commandeer my sleeping bag for more zzzzzz's.
DSC00528.jpg
All packed up and ready to head down. Until next time!
DSC00535.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bruce B on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Meysan Lakes 6/4/16 -6/5/16

Post by maverick »

Hi Bruce,

Photo's not showing, besides the one night shot.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I get 3 pictures. the first one (NICE!!), the night sky and Ozzy in bed (gotta love Ozzy!).. anyway. look at the permissions for the pics.

Guessing Ozzy is about 8-10 yo?

Nice report. Thanks
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bruce B »

That's strange. The photos look good on my end. But when my wife pulls up this post, she only sees one of the photos (and it's a different one than the photos you guys are seeing).

I'm linking from Google Photos. They should be viewable by all. I'll play around with the links, then repost with a different photo server if I can't get Google Photos to work.

Rlown, Ozzy is only about five years old. He's an Australian Cattle Dog. They generally have that salt-and-pepper fur that makes them look older than they are.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

make sure you have the direct link in your pics: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ as the domain. otherwise they don't work. the second click on your pics should give you that url to post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

revert.. we (ERIC) can clean up the thread later. If you go to google pictures, you see the album (assuming).. If you click on a pic, you get a new URL.. That's the one to use and make sure it's public. that's the one to use.
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bruce B »

Yep, https://lh3.googleusercontent.com is the domain for my links. Not sure what the issue is. It seems some of the photos show for some people, but each person sees different photos, and no one but me can see all the photos...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

check sharing permissions.. public comes to mind; or share all. dunno. now i see no pics.. I miss Ozzy.. :(

getting a 403 with chrome developer tools enabled. permissions...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/IjMwV ... 80-h720-no Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()

for your first pic. .
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bruce B »

Think I'm going to try this again with a different photo server. The links I'm using are allegedly publicly viewable links to individual photos, so they should all be displayed. Instead, photos are randomly displaying (or not) for different people.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully Ozzy will be back soon...
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR Take 2: Meysan Lakes 6/4/16 -6/5/16

Post by Bruce B »

Alright... I gave up on Google and uploaded the photos to this site. Looks like they're viewable now, at least on my end.