TR: 6/16 N. Yosemite Boundary Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 6/16 N. Yosemite Boundary Lakes

Post by cefire »

BEAUTIFUL!! Sounds like a spectacular early season trip :)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago my husband and I went to Edith Lake. Our in-route via Laurel Lake was a bushwhack deluxe. We exited up to the ridge to the south and down the adjacent drainage (not all the way to Frog Creek) and that was easier. I did not take a camera. Looking down on Edith Lake from Nance Peak really makes me want to go back to Edith Lake to get some photos and fish. May do it in the fall, as I suspect mosquitoes are already in full swing down there now. There are many hidden nooks in Northern Yosemite far from trails and difficult if not impossible to get to that are on my "to-do" list. Google Earth has been so fun to get more ideas.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Yes your right, Wandering Daisy, I mistook you for another member who had posted camera stuff. I was thinking of some other posts of areas more by Edza lake where there were pocket holes with fishing. But still you and your Canon 95 take some really nice shots !!!!
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

It is such a joy to read your TRs and to be awed by your beautiful pictures. Thank you very much.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Here is a map of the route. The red lines are day-hikes. (unfortunately the Yosemite Boundary is also a red line).
SpottedFawn_Map1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

What an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing Daisy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Awesome! One of my first trips was to this area 25 years ago, probably what got me hooked. This makes me realize I need to go back, soon! Thanks for posting.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Given the recent interest in Cherry Creek and that this TR was not listed in the "similar" trips, I replaced the defunct Photobucket pictures and bumped this up. I do not think many people read this when it was originally posted.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

What an interesting, rambling route you made. It looks like a lot of fun, though with some peculiar difficulties in the micro route-finding. All of that marshyness, post-holing into water, and the "crotch-deep" and deeper stuff makes me wonder whether it might be better to go even earlier, with snow shoes? Not all of us are quite so aquatic as you Daisy. We too really love the look of Spotted Fawn Lake, and some of those great little Inferno Lakes.

You give us a lot of new options, but Bearzy and Smokey wish that you hadn't.... what does your own dog have to say about your absences?

Thanks for putting this nice TR back up for us Daisy.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Our dog is a bit too much of a "princess" to go on these kind of trips; she happily stays home with "dad". "Dad" also is not interested in these kind of trips! They both prefer more mellow trips with lots of fishing. As beautiful as this area is, most lakes are barren. Also, this trip is in Yosemite- dogs not allowed, even if she would like such a trip.

Yes the time I went was during the melt, thus very soggy. But 2016 was at the end of the big drought and a low-snow year. I suspect the same time in a normal to wet year may be more snowy and less soggy. I always thought this would be a great spring ski trip. Not sure the road to Cherry Lake is open then. Emigrant has good potential for winter ski trips too- terrain is not as avalanche prone as the high Sierra.