Sequoia Loop Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

Just a note. If you are going to hit Bearpaw on the first day, I highly suggest stopping a mile early at Buck Canyon. Despite being right on the trail, Buck Canyon feels more wild than Bearpaw.

If you can swing about 20 miles on day one, Hamilton Lake is an amazing place to spend the night.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

24Jeff is correct that Buck Canyon does offer more privacy than Bearpaw which in Aug can be pretty busy though it is hotter, Bearpaw does have more tree cover.
Hamilton is 15 miles from Crescent and if you get an early enough start you can make it, but it depends on you fitness. You do not want to waste yourself the first day out especially with you biggest climb yet to come.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I guess more folks are savvy about Buck Canyon than I realized. I've used it (on the way out) twice, in lieu of Bearpaw because it is indeed away from the crowds and quite pleasant. You can also soak your feet in the stream there which is really nice. On the other hand it is a small place that will fit two small parties at the most.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimh
Topix Novice

Fabulous pix Maverick.

Post by jimh »

I'm really amped about this trip.

I ordered the book you suggested. Thanks for the tip. I saw pix somewhere else for Picket Lake. It's definitely on our list.

Jeff, thanks for the tip on Buck Canyon. I think that will work out nicely on our 1st night.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

When you do visit Picket Lake look for a dip in the ridge between Picket Creek and Kaweah Basin its much easier to go over this pass than to go to the end of Kaweah basin and try too get to Picket Lake.
The are alot of ledges and ravines that you have to negotiate and may be tricky with a large pack.
With that said you might be able to gain access by climbing up the steep ridge from the last lake leading out of Kaweah Basin, but option 1 is alot easier and safer.
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

Kearsarge Pass, Rae Lakes, South Fork Kings River to Bubbs Creek to either Deadmans Canyon and Elizabeth Pass (missing some good stuf) or Cloud Canyon and into 9 Lakes Basin, over Kaweah Gap down to Bearpaw across to Mineral King and take an exit over to Little Five Lakes any way you want to get there, down to Kern up to Wallace Lakes Drainage (or follow Kern North more) follow PCT north to Tyndal Creek and exit over Shepherds Pass. Walk 3 miles to main road, catch an easy ride back up to car at Onion Valley.

You can figure out at least one figure eight on this trip as well as a couple of lollipops.
jimh
Topix Novice

Post by jimh »

maverick wrote: You can make Bearpaw Meadow from Crescent Meadow the first day and then to 9 Lake Basin the next. Then go over PQ Col in KB. Then explore for a couple of days. Check out Picket Lake which is the last lake on Picket Creek before it descends down towards Kern Kaweah River.
Also the lake with the island in it is a cool camping place!!
I like this suggestion, but let me try one change in the itinerary; what if I wanted to get from 9 Lakes Basin to Pickett Creek. Looks like PQ Col puts me on the wrong side of a ridge-line. Is there an EASY pass (remember, I'm from the right-hand coast) between Lawson Peak and Kaweah Queen?

What I'm trying to accomplish is Pickett Lake first and Kaweah Basin on the trip back in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jim

Then youll have to go over Pants Pass and then go up towards Picket Col and descend Picket Creek and exit Pyra Queen on the way out of Kaweah Basin.
After your visit Picket Lake just come back up to the same small dip in the ridge which gives you easy access to Kaweah Basin.
The dip is at around 10880 ft on the ridge under the word "Creek" in Picket Creek on a Tom Harrison map.
The approach to Picket Col is long and rocky. There is small lake which you could camp at if you run out of time towards the bottom after you descend Pants Pass.
Just to let you know the last 30 feet on both sides of Pants Pass is really steep and sandy but you can ski down the scree after that.
jimh
Topix Novice

Post by jimh »

maverick wrote:
After your visit Picket Lake just come back up to the same small
dip in the ridge which gives you easy access to Kaweah Basin.
The dip is at around 10880 ft on the ridge under the word "Creek"
in Picket Creek on a Tom Harrison map.
It really looks like it would be just as easy to cross at PQ Col and find that dip that you refer to in order to find Picket Lake. Would you agree?

At this point in our trip, time is running short. We'll have to start making our way back towards the HST in order to make the trailhead on our deadline. From Picket Lake into Kaweah Basin, what is "must see"...? Got any suggestions for tourists for the eastern side of Kaweah Basin?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Well if you cross PQ Col youll be going thru Kaweah basin allready
to get to Picket Lake.
Thats why going over Pants Pass and Picket Col to Picket Creek
then back up and over the ridge and into Kaweah basin and out PQ Col
would be like a loop where you would see something different in and out
until you get back to the HST.
Highlights IMO are Picket Lake, the lake with the island and Upper