Shepherd Pass (crossing Symmes during peak flows)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shepherd Pass (crossing Symmes during peak flows)

Post by commonloon »

Hello All,

I'm planning on going up Shepherd in a couple of weeks w/ a couple of buddies. All three of us are ice axe and crampon proficient and varying degrees of alpine/climbing experience. Level 4 backpackers. I've been up Shepherd's multiple times, and am familiar with the big new gully and the snow headwall at the pass. All that said it seems likely we will arrive during close to or peak flows. I understand 2 of the 4 Symmes Creek creek crossing can be skipped by bushwacking.

My questions are:

1) what are the 2 "Mandatory" crossings like a high flows?

2) Is there an alternative cross country route (this could involve scrambling/climbing) from the trailhead?

Thanks in advance. I owe you guys a couple of trip reports!
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Re: Shepherd Pass (crossing Symmes during peak flows)

Post by Flamingo »

I've climbed Shepherd in June of a heavy snow year, and I don't recall any easy way to avoid crossing Symmes Creek; the canyon is very narrow at this point, and overgrown with alder and willow. That said, I don't think the creek crossing here is especially dangerous; just go slow and prepare to get wet up to your waist. The flow can be very fast, but there's many submerged boulders you can use to prevent getting swept away. Maybe someone else on this forum can chime in with their experiences crossing Symmes?
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks! I've only been across it with very little flow... thats helpful.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

It's the snowed-in headwall that gives me the willies, not Symmes. Still, if you've got the gear, you might even consider going straight up and over, rather than traverse.

You guys going to climb any peaks?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Symmes will not be a high danger creek, knee deep possibly, and fast moving, similar to Tabbose Creek in early season, Tyndall Creek would be more of a concern.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

I agree Hobbes, the headwall traverse up towards the top can be a bit exposed. No peaks. This trip is a warm up/shake down trip before we do a section of the Sierra High Route later in the month.

Maverick -- In the past I've avoided crossing Tyndall by the JMT junction and crossed it higher up, then a little x-country to the Lake South America trail, etc. but we'll see.

Thanks for the help.