Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin area? | High Sierra Topix  

Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby d_silva1 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:13 am

AlmostThere wrote:Check out the options for High Sierra Packers.
http://www.highsierrapackstations.com/trip_options.html

You could have them just take you and all your gear in to Evolution and drop you. Would take less than a day for them to get you there, and then you'd have plenty of time to wander around.


Actually, according to their web site, it is up to an 8 hour trip. I'm assuming that means one way. this you have to pay for packer plus two horse for two days. Tht is expensive. I'm hoping we can just add ten puonds of food to an existing trip.

"Evolution Valley, in Kings Canyon National Park, features good stream fishing, and gorgeous scenery including lush meadows, waterfalls, and panoramic views. This is a 7 to 8 hour ride."



User avatar
d_silva1
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:50 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 23, 2016 8:38 am

d_silva1 wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Check out the options for High Sierra Packers.
http://www.highsierrapackstations.com/trip_options.html

You could have them just take you and all your gear in to Evolution and drop you. Would take less than a day for them to get you there, and then you'd have plenty of time to wander around.


Actually, according to their web site, it is up to an 8 hour trip. I'm assuming that means one way. this you have to pay for packer plus two horse for two days. Tht is expensive. I'm hoping we can just add ten puonds of food to an existing trip.

"Evolution Valley, in Kings Canyon National Park, features good stream fishing, and gorgeous scenery including lush meadows, waterfalls, and panoramic views. This is a 7 to 8 hour ride."


Yes, they would spend the night, but 7-8 hours is still leaving part of the day for the customer to set up camp. That's about what I hike in a day, starting at around 8 am, and when we roll into camp at 3-4, we fish and play in the water and set up, have dinner, etc.

In any case, the cost being the sticking point, you might be able to network up some backpackers to help you carry it. Not everyone is an ultralighter and there are a lot of people who love that part of the JMT - me included. (But my long trips are all planned out for the year, so not this year, for me.)

I would call the packer anyway, since they know their schedule and their client list, and inquire about whether anyone else is packing up to where you want to be - or anywhere along the JMT in that section - and see if they ever get clients together to share the cost. And I would post on backpacking forums looking for information about anyone who might be willing to pack your stuff in for you, ask interested parties to send a private message to you -- possibly there may be someone willing to do it if you reimburse them for gas to get to the trailhead. It's an opportunity for a backpacker to get a "free" trip to a gorgeous area.
User avatar
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby d_silva1 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:41 am

AlmostThere wrote:Check out the options for High Sierra Packers.
http://www.highsierrapackstations.com/trip_options.html

You could have them just take you and all your gear in to Evolution and drop you. Would take less than a day for them to get you there, and then you'd have plenty of time to wander around.


Just called. Dropping off anything up to Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight: $375. Anything past Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight, $750.
User avatar
d_silva1
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:50 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby SSSdave » Mon May 23, 2016 10:51 am

marksfor, for a decade+ don't believe horse packers have been able to go above Anvil Camp and after the recent trail wash out ravine a few years ago were not able reach there though that has maybe been repaired? Shepherd Pass is 12060. Anvil Camp is 10060 or 2k below. The top of the pass has long been subject to rockfall and its steep snowfield tends to last well into summer.

Looks like I am going to be following you two a few days later. But am older than you two and will be carrying more weight as is my punishment by just going slow and stopping frequently. Having to hike the bottom section after enduring the 8am ranger station sermon then driving to the trailhead, and starting in mid morning heat is what scares me.

I'd bet if you advertised in the Bishop newspaper you will pay 2 strong local hikers $300 each to hike with you two up to the pass carrying your packs that you would get some takers considering how there are some really fit types over there that are unemployed.
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby markskor » Mon May 23, 2016 11:12 am

SSSdave wrote:I'd bet if you advertised in the Bishop newspaper you will pay 2 strong local hikers $300 each to hike with you two up to the pass carrying your packs that you would get some takers considering how there are some really fit types over there that are unemployed.

Dave,
Problem is that we will be entering from Horseshoe Meadows 10 days prior...sort of an off-trail, raft-fishing trip - (BTW, Mike made up our itinerary, as usual).
Plan (as I understand it, but always subject to trail change/daily whims) is to carry 10 days food in to start, NAP, hit Miter Basin, over Crabtree, the Wrights, Lake South America?... then who knows? Hopefully another week or so exploring/fishing after the re-supply too. Unfortunately, cannot afford to feed 2 strong hikers for 10 days.
Would be nice to cross paths though...will keep an eye out for ya.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
User avatar
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Mammoth Lakes
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby longri » Mon May 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Markskor: Why not just hike in a cache (in canisters) some weekend prior to your trip? I know it's not legal but... it's what I would do.

Ideally you'll find someone who will carry it in for you for a reasonable fee. There must be some locals like that. I'd do it if I were over there and had a free day. It sounds like a fun day hike to me.
User avatar
longri
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby maverick » Mon May 23, 2016 12:42 pm

HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
User avatar
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
 
Posts: 8040
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:54 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby d_silva1 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Just called the pack station for this area. Dropping off anything up to Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight: $375. Anything past Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight, $750. Seems not quite right in that they could easily add 10 lbs. to an existing trip, rather than charge me two horse and a packer for just 10 pounds. But, yes, I know, it is their business and they set the rules, and there is only one packer to a trailhead, thus a sort of monopoly situation
User avatar
d_silva1
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:50 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby rlown » Mon May 23, 2016 6:41 pm

d_silva1 wrote:Just called the pack station for this area. Dropping off anything up to Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight: $375. Anything past Piute Creek, no matter how small the weight, $750. Seems not quite right in that they could easily add 10 lbs. to an existing trip, rather than charge me two horse and a packer for just 10 pounds. But, yes, I know, it is their business and they set the rules, and there is only one packer to a trailhead, thus a sort of monopoly situation


Wow, you could buy your own horse for that money.. Don't.. Just don't.. ;)
User avatar
rlown
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: Petaluma and Wilton, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby gdurkee » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:10 pm

Yes, for High Sierra Packers to get to the lip of Evolution Meadow would be a full day and so charge two days RT for a food drop (they've got another 5 miles one way to go around Florence Lake vs. you going over on the ferry). I would think Muir Trail Ranch could do the round trip to Evolution Meadow in a day. They're about 8 miles from there (one way). Some packers set a 15 or so mile limit for a one day trip. Not sure about the ranch but definitely check with them. Normal charge for all packers is the packer, his or her horse, and the pack mule. So $350 day is about average.

g.

PS: maybe advertise here for the dates you're going in and split the cost. I wouldn't mention that to the packer. They charge the same fee even if there's a couple of customers going to the same place... .
User avatar
gdurkee
Founding Member
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:20 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby d_silva1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:18 am

gdurkee wrote:Yes, for High Sierra Packers to get to the lip of Evolution Meadow would be a full day and so charge two days RT for a food drop (they've got another 5 miles one way to go around Florence Lake vs. you going over on the ferry). I would think Muir Trail Ranch could do the round trip to Evolution Meadow in a day. They're about 8 miles from there (one way). Some packers set a 15 or so mile limit for a one day trip. Not sure about the ranch but definitely check with them. Normal charge for all packers is the packer, his or her horse, and the pack mule. So $350 day is about average.

g.

PS: maybe advertise here for the dates you're going in and split the cost. I wouldn't mention that to the packer. They charge the same fee even if there's a couple of customers going to the same place... .


Thanks for the tip! :)
User avatar
d_silva1
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:50 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Is there a way to get a food drop into Evolution Basin a

Postby cmon4day » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Check in at the local airport and see if you can get a pilot to drop a dry bag into a lake
User avatar
cmon4day
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Location: Dublin, CA
Experience: N/A

PreviousNext

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], granitetrail and 8 guests