Permit Q

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Permit Q

Post by Matthewkphx »

I have noticed that there are some permits available for Cross Country Visiting Mt. Whitney. What would happen if I used one of these without the intention of going to Whitney? What if I didn't go significantly off-trail?

Example: Duck Pass... What if I just went for a long weekend and ran up to Silver Pass and back?
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Permit Q

Post by Matthewkphx »

Hmm. The same number of permits are available for overnight and cross country. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the permit system. Do they have X number of permits available and you can take them as overnight, cross-country, etc? I thought they had a certain number of each type of permit available...
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Permit Q

Post by Ska-T »

On Recreation.gov the choice of the type of wilderness permit is confusing. What you want is a simple "Overnight" permit for Duck Pass JM01. You aren't going near Mt Whitney, which is about 100 mi away from the area you want to hike.

Whitney permits are more complicated (too late tonight for me to explain) and cost more.