TR: Yosemite Rim to Rim

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Yosemite Rim to Rim

Post by cefire »

Fantastic photographs \:D/

Thanks for sharing!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for sharing such great photos! Makes me wish I were there right now.
-Phil
LonePine
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by LonePine »

Thanks WD for a great TR, photos and for suggesting a good first hike this spring. I just got back from the Pohono - Panorama trail. Started at Tunnel View on Tuesday afternoon and really enjoyed the trip. Snow was not a problem but the mosquitoes are starting to emerge on the first 4 miles of the trail. I tried to get my reserved wilderness permit at the Big Oak Flat entrance but there was no ranger on site. Had to go into the Valley. Not many people on the trail until Taft Point. By the time I got to the Mist trail on Friday there was a sea of humanity. Just getting down was difficult. I have never been to Yosemite in May so was surprised by the crowds (and the selfie photographers!) but I can understand based on the water works display. Just amazing.

""
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Thanks for posting. The pictures are lovely. I want to visit the park in June, it looks like the snow will stick around in July.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Thanks for the trip report and photos. I was a bit surprised by the comments about not being allowed to stay "two nights in a row' at the backpackers' campground. We are planning to do this in June - one night off the back of one permit and the second as the "night before" a second permit. Is this not allowed?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

As I understand it, as in years past...one night after a trip, plus one night before another...2 consecutive nights allowed, however. You must have valid wilderness permits to show the ranger daily both times... (2) - one for both trips (or a YARTS bus ticket on first night), and you cannot just leave your tent and gear set-up all day long for the second night. Rangers come around and check around noon...confiscate gear and/or give out tickets...(plus the ol' stink eye).

You must leave the BP camp in the morning and take with everything with you, all packed up, and then set it all up again (after ~ 2:00 PM) for the second night... You cannot just leave your full pack stashed in the bear box either.
To add...no padlocks on the bear boxes - Rangers will cut off (and then go through all your gear). The bear boxes are to be shared by all...one box does not belong to one individual camp site.
Mountainman who swims with trout
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Thanx WanderingDaisy for the trip report and photos!

Ha, I can relate to the traffic pain in the valley. We came in Saturday the 14th. About 1/2 hour wait at the entrance gate on highway 41, then clear sailing from there to past the tunnel. Then a full two hours to reach our campsite. Traffic was like this again Sunday, Monday afternoon and Thursday. I imagine the same on Saturday again, but we made a quick getaway.

Glad to see your Vernal Falls photos...first campout I many years that I didn't get a view, at least from above (saw Nevada from north rim but Vernal was blocked.)

LonePine...must've passed you on the trail from the tunnel. Dayhiked there Tuesday.
LonePine
Topix Acquainted

Post by LonePine »

Hikerchick395, I started up from Tunnel View about 3:15 pm. Talked with a couple coming down who saw 2 rattlesnakes on the trail above so that got my attention. If you saw me, I was huffin' and puffin' with my 45 lb pack up that steep trail.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Definitely passed you near the bottom as I see the time on my photos were around 3:25 to 3:30 pm, while stopped taking pics of the rainbow on Bridalveil Falls. I didn't hear or hear of the rattlesnakes on this trail, but was advised of rattlesnakes viewed on the Yosemite Falls trail on Thursday (while observing a beautiful California Mountain Kingsnake along that trail.)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Oz wrote:
Thanks for the trip report and photos. I was a bit surprised by the comments about not being allowed to stay "two nights in a row' at the backpackers' campground. We are planning to do this in June - one night off the back of one permit and the second as the "night before" a second permit. Is this not allowed?
Yosemite NPS:

Backpackers' Campgrounds

Backpackers' campgrounds are available for wilderness permit holders to spend one night before and one night after a wilderness trip. Camping is limited to one night at a time. Reservations are neither necessary nor required. However, a valid wilderness permit is required to stay at the campground. The fee is $6 per person (pay using envelopes at the campground). Parking is not available directly at campgrounds; instead park at designated overnight parking areas and walk to the backpackers' campground.

Yosemite Valley: The backpackers' campground is behind North Pines Campground (and across the footbridge). Open April through mid October (approximately). If arriving at night, please be quiet as you unload your car in the unloading zone and walk to the campground. This campground has vault toilets and no potable water (potable water is available nearby in North Pines Campground).

Tuolumne Meadows: These sites are inside the Tuolumne Meadows Campground, behind the A loop. Open July through late September (approximately).

White Wolf: These sites are at the back of the White Wolf Campground. Open July through mid September (approximately).

Hetch Hetchy: The campground is next to the overnight parking area. Open all year.

Wawona: No backpackers' campground.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org