Please share your Sierra Wisdom!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Please share your Sierra Wisdom!

Post by wildhiker »

If you are able to do a car shuttle of about 1/2 hour, I would suggest Virginia Lakes to Twin Lakes through the northern part of Yosemite Park. You start at a high trailhead (about 9000 feet) with a nice campground to acclimate the first night. The first couple of passes have less than a thousand feet elevation gain. Then you work your way up to higher passes. Matterhorn Canyon is in the middle of the trip and really spectacular - worth a layover day to explore the high basin at the head. Finally, you come out to Twin Lake as a long downhill hike, instead of a big climb. My wife and I did this hike in our late 50s in 4 nights, camping at upper Virginia Canyon, Miller Lake (on the short section of the Pacific Crest Trail that you use), the upper basin in Matterhorn Canyon, and Crown Lake. We saw a family in Matterhorn Canyon with two children about 10 and 12. This all-trail trip gives you the feeling of going deep into the wilderness, with lots of side trails if you have extra time, and not many people. Many campsites are low enough to have campfires (below 9600 feet elevation). The only problem is the car shuttle between the trailheads. I got my grown son to shuttle us because he wanted to borrow our other car for a climbing trip :-).

-Phil
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tekisui0 »

Thanks very much for all the great info! Matterhorn Canyon sounds like it.

I was wondering if anyone had anything more to say regarding which direction to do the peeler lake/burro pass loop or more thoughts about coming from virginia lakes?
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Matterhorn Canyon is gorgeous and if you come in from Twin Lakes via Peeler Lake and Burro Pass you are going to get some fine scenery. Without a doubt one of my favorite areas is between Mule and Burro Passes because you get such grand views of the Sawtooth Ridge and Matterhorn Peak itself. I remember the trail between Mule and Burro was a little faint at times but completely navigable and not scary.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I would do a trip to the Red Mountain Basin out of the Maxson Trailhead at Courtright Reservoir. If the kid takes to the experience, there is a lot to see in the Red Mountain Basin and you can easily wing it with all the easy on trail and cross country opportunities. If it's difficult for the newby, you might make it to Hobler Lake or Post Corral Meadow, do some day hikes out of either of those places and return. I have posted many trip reports for this area including: http://www.sierrahiker.com/RedMountainBasin/index.html

Feel free to send a personal email if you need more specific information.