Kennedy Lake 4/29-4/30

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kennedy Lake 4/29-4/30

Post by venturefar »

A friend and I hiked into Kennedy Lake on 4/29 for an overnight. Starting about 1.5 miles from Kennedy Cabin there was patchy snow coverage. The trail would be obscured for 30-40 yard stretches. Even with some snow coverage we had no trouble staying on the trail. The weather was wintry. It was windy with snow flurries basically the whole time. It got worse overnight and we awoke to a couple of inches of fresh snow. On our way out on Saturday several other hikers were headed in including a group of 12 that was base camped down at relief. I really wish the forest service would put a quota on Relief and Kennedy Lake. Kennedy gets hammered over the summer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murfmobile
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Kennedy Lake 4/29-4/30

Post by Murfmobile »

Thank you for the post! I am planning a trip out of Kennedy Meadows for Memorial weekend but I have also been thinking about doing a one nighter to Kennedy or Relief prior. I've never been this early and wasn't sure if it was doable. I'll be taking my girlfriend which will be her first time backpacking and I want it to be a fun experience for her. In addition I have never been to Kennedy lake so I would like to see it for myself. Were snow shoes necessary?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Murf,

Welcome to HST!
Thank you for the post! I am planning a trip out of Kennedy Meadows for Memorial weekend but I have also been thinking about doing a one nighter to Kennedy or Relief prior. I've never been this early and wasn't sure if it was doable. I'll be taking my girlfriend which will be her first time backpacking and I want it to be a fun experience for her. In addition I have never been to Kennedy lake so I would like to see it for myself. Were snow shoes necessary?
Would highly recommend that you not try to introduce your girlfriend to backpacking under these conditions. Take her in late July or August, after the mosquitoes are gone, and to a spot that takes minimal effort and has great views, and she will be hooked, otherwise you will turn her off permanently from the wilderness experience.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Murfmobile
Topix Novice

Post by Murfmobile »

Thank you for the advice Maverick! To be honest most of my backpacking experiences have been late season and I myself haven't experienced mosquitos at their worst. Both of us have been doing a lot of lower elevation day hikes and I am really looking forward to spending time in the higher sierras. I cant wait.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Nice Pics !! It's great to see it in the snow. I agree, that place gets hammered . I've seen a lot of trash up there, more than I could hall out in one trip. Something needs to be done. A party of twelve is a bit much ! I'm not sure of the answer, but quotas , are a start.
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

Murfmobile wrote:Were snow shoes necessary?
No snowshoes. When there was snow it was fairly consolidated. Minimal postholing. I hiked in trail runners.
@aguabonita