Mystery Spot

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mystery Spot

Post by TehipiteTom »

alpinemike wrote:I will admit this one will probably be quite tough, but I'm very curious if anyone has been here so good luck.
1397257_781871255212946_9175778152457294348_o.jpg
WAG: Lake 10700 on the bench above Evolution Valley?
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

If the lake must have a name then I must have missed that in the rules. But that would also mean Rogue's lake in the enchanted gorge wouldn't count either.

Since no one has been able to give a positive identification and it's been a few days I will provide a crucial clue. This scene is located on the west side of the Black Divide. If you can figure out the mountain on the ridge line on the left side this shouldn't be too hard.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Very nicely done Tomba. That is the exact spot indeed. Such a beautiful area that resembles nothing of the typical Black Divide terrain to me. Without a doubt one of the most remote spots in the Sierra. Have you ever been there by chance?

In any case you are up!
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

alpinemike wrote:If the lake must have a name then I must have missed that in the rules. But that would also mean Rogue's lake in the enchanted gorge wouldn't count either.

Since no one has been able to give a positive identification and it's been a few days I will provide a crucial clue. This scene is located on the west side of the Black Divide. If you can figure out the mountain on the ridge line on the left side this shouldn't be too hard.

Hi Mike,

After the thread was started I informally suggested we limit photos to places that have names because there are myriad no name peaks, lakes, and ponds that would be difficult to identify. I've been to many locations without names that look like no one has visited those areas in decades if ever and would not expect anyone might identify such places. In your picture's case that peak in the back is part of Wheel Mountain so that would qualify. If a postee posts an image with a noname lake they might note the lake does not have a name that would indicate some other prominent feature in an image like a peak does have a name.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

alpinemike wrote:Have you ever been there by chance?
No I haven't. Your hint was a big help. I read the TR from your trip there. Google Earth confirmed the view and helped find the exact spot.

Here is the next photo:
DSC17628-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Big Chief Lake

wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Rogue, are you posting the next photo? Yours is of Cotton Lake with the Silver Divide in the background.
-Phil
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Correct, Big Chief Lake.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

wildhiker: confirmed (see photo). You are next.
DSC04050-DSC04052-crop-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.