Proposed Itinerary, Mono Divide/Silver Divide Area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Proposed Itinerary, Mono Divide/Silver Divide Area

Post by maverick »

I'm dubious about this. Secor says it's 4 3/4 miles from Mono Creek to the Bear Ridge intersection (and the ferry doesn't take you all the way to Mono Creek), and 5 miles from Vermillion Dam to the intersection on the Bear Ridge Trail. So you're not actually saving any mileage, and you're adding significant time (especially if you're an early riser--the first ferry isn't til at least 8 am, IIRC). IMO, better bet is just to take the Bear Ridge trail.
True, yet if one has never done the ferry ride, it can be fun.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dandaman49
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Proposed Itinerary, Mono Divide/Silver Divide Area

Post by dandaman49 »

Thanks for the input. I may just base the decision on whether or not I arrive/wake up close to the time when the ferry is ready to depart. I live in Fresno and will likely be heading up the 168 and car camping after work to get a head start.

I am also considering a route from Florence to Edison. South from Florence then north on JMT to Selden pass, then up East fork of Bear Creek to Bear Lakes basin, over white bear pass to Lake Italy, over Gabbott pass to Mills creek area, then out Mono Creek to VVR. Would need to hitchhike back to Florence but I imagine that wouldn't be too much of an issue as i will be doing this trip around Labor Day and there should be plenty of people on the road.

I would probably be able to do this route significantly faster than my original route, leaving more time for 0 day exploration, and would still get plenty of off trail fun.