too many LOOP trip requests

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: too many LOOP trip requests

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I agree with Tehipite Toms descriptions. If you start at one trailhead and end at another that has always in my book been a shuttle. Did lots of them in the old days (Bishop to Sawmill, Bear Diversion to Florence, etc), but nowadays I don't hike with as many folks (son and daughter are my typical companions these days) so having two cars is not always an option. If possible, I prefer a loop or semi-loop/lollipop, but I've done numerous out and backs and don't have any issue with them as well. If you get to see a beautiful area, I really cant complain if I get to see it again on the way out. Sometimes it can be a whole different world on the hike out when compared to the hike in. I once hiked over Mono Pass to the Pioneer Basin. We went in in a storm and the views on the way in were limited at best as we just got over the pass and into the Basin as quick as we could. When we left 3 days later it was clear and we were amazed at how gorgeous the views were across to 4th Recess, and with the views of Pioneer and Little Lakes Valley as we crossed Mono Pass. I almost felt like we were on a different trail and seeing it for the first time. Also have to agree with OR about responding to requests. Far prefer those that name a few options to those just asking where to go, but maybe I'm just getting a tad cranky as I get older :unibrow: :D :wink:
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

nm
guiriguiri
Topix Newbie

Post by guiriguiri »

In defense of myself and other newbies to this site. Many of us, even those experienced at backpacking/trip planning, aren't used to the competition for permits. When you're slightly late planning an up-till-then unexpected trip and seeing how few permits are left for the window available to you, it's hard to wait for maps/books to arrive or to spend enough time digging through TRs to find the perfect loop.

Also, I use "loop" as a loose term and generally expect a lollipop, albeit with more lollipop than stick.

Anyway, I've appreciated getting helpful answers from enthusiastic members rather than derision around here!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Tom_H wrote:I too like the lollipop concept. While I appreciate the notion of encouraging newbies to expand their ideas of what a good trip entails, I think the original post came across a bit strong.
+2 on the first point, and +1 on the second. The mission of HST is to be a welcoming and helpful resource.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

While I get that there may (or may not) be a false idea out there that out/back are less desirable than other shapes of travel. I don't think we should discourage anything. If people come here looking for advice on a loop, why not? If loops are tough to fit into a given criteria, we can always suggest an alternate out/back that would fit or inform them when there doesn't seem to be a good loop that fits within their criteria and suggest a bang on out/back or two that would fit. The goal, IMHO, is to educate about the possibilities, not squelch the desire for a particular type of trip.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you are solo or a "group" of two, I would not be so concerned about the reserved permits being already taken. There are always cancellations and a certain amount are left for first-come. I have never been able not to get a walk-in permit, excluding major holiday weekends, and even then, you will get cancellations. Same day "no-show" cancellations are given out at 11AM. Walk in permits can be obtained the day before or the day of your trip. Be flexible and have a "plan B" that works from a nearby trailhead and you should be OK. I have not bothered with getting a reserved permit for years.

In my opinion, the best trip planning resource is the 3-map series, "John Muir Wilderness (Inyo and Sierra National Forests)/Sequoia-Kings Canyon Wilderness (Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks); North Section, Central Section and South Section. USFS 1"=2mi. I have the 1992 maps. I am not sure if there are newer versions. These maps are of perfect scale for planning. The best thing about these maps is that they show the currently maintained trials vs. not maintained trails. Lots of good information, including campgrounds, the "no fires allowed" areas, and trailhead access roads. I think these are available at REI as well as on line. Pick out some "loops" or whatever looks good and then ask for advise. I try to be helpful, but ALWAYS can give more detail when someone has a few defined options already chosen.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Several thoughts on this with some mixed feelings:

- Loops are nice, but truthfully, there aren't that many. After a certain point you either figure out your own, or do some backtracking. Remind them, there are no bad days backpacking. Boredom is a state of mind, not going on the same trail there and back. Encourage people to do their own planning and be rewarded with their own discovery.

- Lord knows there are more than enough resources out there to plan trips. Harrison's maps are the best thing since sliced bread in that regard.

- Yes, if you fly into LAX or SFO from back east there are going to be logistical challenges. You might have to pay for a rental car to sit at a trailhead for a week or pay what seems like a lot for someone to pick your butt up. That's just the way it is. This isn't Europe where you go from airport to train to trailhead with little effort. California is big, and now more than ever, expensive.

- I get why scouts are looking for loops. They want that elusive 50 miler and to minimize logistics. That said, our troop did a number of trips that weren't loops and required shuttling. Nature of the beast. Our troop probably had a 7 year repeat cycle.

- There seems to be an increase in intellectual laziness in people, perhaps caused by the internet. They can't be bothered to do the research, but want to rely on others advice for what is supposed to be an excellent trip. Unfortunately, backpacking does not fit into the Yelp model.

- At the risk of funneling nubes into a few standard routes (which already occurs anyhow) perhaps we just point people to Backpacker's Trekking California. It has descriptions of most of the standard route and is readily available on Amazon. I use it, though it tends assume that you can do 10-15 miles a day off trail. Perhaps too scary for flatlanders.

- If they don't want to get Trekking California, we could also list here the old standards as a beginning point for those who can't be bothered to plan. "Places to Consider for Your First Trip to the Sierra." The ones I can think of are:

* Hoover Twin Lakes, Peeler Lake, Benson Lake, Matterhorn Canyon, Mule and Burro Passes
* Rae Lakes
* North Lake - South Lake (Evolution Circuit)
* Humphries Basin Bear Basin loop
* Emigrant Kennedy Meadows Brown Bear Pass, Upper Emigrant Lakes, Huckleberry Lake, Buck Lakes, Emigrant Lake, Mosquito Pass, Kennedy Meadows.
* Any number of Lolipops off of Rush Creek in Ansel Adams
* Lodgepole, Silliman Pass, Roaring River, Deadman Canyon, Elizabeth Pass, Hamilton Lake, back to Lodgepole.
* Mineral King, Franklin Pass, Kern Canyon, Junction Meadow, Gallats Lake, Pants Pass, Nine Lakes, Five Lakes, Lost Canyon, Sawtooth Pass, Mineral King

I'm sure you can list a few more. Perhaps some of the members can create a "Famous, Must-Do Canned Hikes" page (yes, gag me). Once you have done most of these, you should have graduated to planning your own hikes.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I disagree that there are a lack of 2-4 day loop routes in the Sierra. If you keep a light pack, you can easily go 10-15 miles a day. Given a 30-40 mile route, more loops open up. And add a little off-trail and even more loops open up.
I completely agree with wanderingdaisy's comment about the fact that there are plenty of loops that can be opened up via a light pack. If you're carrying anything over 35+ pounds on a 3-4 day trip you should really reconsider the gear that you're using and taking with you. You will be much happier at the end of the day with a light pack and will be able to cover far more ground, which in turn increases your ability to do "longer" loops/semi-loops. Even more so I believe as many others that we should never discourage new members (or any members for that matter) for asking for advice on any type of trip. The whole point of our forum I hope is to provide valuable information and experience to those who seek it out.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

In my opinion, the best trip planning resource is the 3-map series, "John Muir Wilderness (Inyo and Sierra National Forests)/Sequoia-Kings Canyon Wilderness (Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks); North Section, Central Section and South Section. USFS 1"=2mi. I have the 1992 maps. I am not sure if there are newer versions. These maps are of perfect scale for planning. The best thing about these maps is that they show the currently maintained trials vs. not maintained trails. Lots of good information, including campgrounds, the "no fires allowed" areas, and trailhead access roads. I think these are available at REI as well as on line.
I also have been using these maps to plan trips for over 20 years. They "are of perfect scale for planning." I've come up with a lot of trips just by starting at a destination and seeing all the various ways I can get there.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Of course most backpackers carry traditional loads of varying degrees with ultralighters in a modest minority. Although there are more loops possibilities available to ultralighters, many of the requests are from those obviously not. I'm not referring just to recent threads but rather over the last few years on the board so believed it would be worthwhile to temper that direction and still do after reading what others have input so far. Thus for traditional loads out and backs far out number loop choices that perusing topos will quickly show to be true.

Of course the discussion intent is NOT about discouraging people from asking for advice and help but rather steering those who are unfamiliar to a thread starting point of broader possibilities that include all route types including loops. Eric and Maverick already have considerable such info and advice in their sticky stuff. We discourage novices from hiking early season in mosquitoey areas or siting camps along trails when privacy is of interest for good reasons. At this point I'll concede any added sticky stuff is not going anywhere as the subject seems to have drawn lines of opinion and in any case is a very minor matter