TR: Bubbs Creek to Vidette Meadow, April 23-34, 2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Bubbs Creek to Vidette Meadow, April 23-34, 2016

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,

I enjoyed a relatively short backpacking trip last weekend (April 23-24) up Bubbs Creek. I started at Roads End Saturday morning with plans to hike until the snow became too annoying. I found patchy snow around 7000', and solid snow cover at 8000' and above. I made it +10 miles to Vidette Meadow. Crowds were virtually nonexistent because Highway 180 to Roads End opened the day prior, and the Cedar Grove campgrounds remain closed. I saw three groups day-hiking to Mist Falls, but I seemed to be the only backpacker. I saw no one else in Bubbs Creek canyon. This place is popular in summer and it often feels more like front country than backcountry. Right now, though -- early in the season -- it feels wild and desolate. Although I usually pass through Bubbs Creek canyon on my way to higher destinations along the Sierra crest, it was a nice change of pace to savor the solitude of this place in springtime.

I posted photos. . .

Road End Trailhead

Looking north up Woods Creek Canyon

Waterfalls seem to be near peak flow. Pictured here is a closeup of the falls below The Sphinx.

The Bubbs Creek trail is clear of snow for about four miles east from the junction with Avalanche Pass trail.

Solid snow cover exists at 8000' and higher.

Junction Meadow seems to be melting rapidly.

Enjoying the afternoon light along Bubbs Creek:

Returning to Roads End on Sunday, with overcast skies:
Last edited by Flamingo on Mon May 02, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Bubbs Creek to Vidette Meadow, April 23-34, 2016

Post by zacjust32 »

Nice shots! We were up there same day but went to Mist Falls instead, although I personally wanted to go to the overlook in picture 2. Was the snow consolidated enough that you didn't need snowshoes, or are they recommended?
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Hey Zac. The snow was consolidated in the morning, but *very* slushy in the afternoon. I thought about bringing my snowshoes -- and I totally regret not doing it.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Typical window of fair weather this time of year between more serious storms. Smart to keep your trip lengths short as you did that can confidently fit such trips in. Current NWS forecasts show snow showers above 8k in the Southern Sierra Wednesday through Sunday as a significant slow moving cool trough moves in. Tahoe is expect snow above 7k that could be as much as a foot in higher areas.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Victor for the TR and pictures. Was expecting a little more snow at JM.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org