mineral king

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tomalbritton
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: mineral king

Post by tomalbritton »

Thanks, David. What out and backs do you like
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well much depends on a backpacker's interests, whether peak bagger, fishermen, photographer, naturalist, trail distance/time challenger or the below. In general all have interests in visiting scenic locations and that is why backpackers tend to hike about timberline and alpine regions and not down in canyons or forests. There are fair numbers of backpackers often those newer enthusiasts that have not found their mountain calling so tend to mostly just hike from location to location, rising late, making breakfast, slowly getting packed up then getting back on the trail mid morning without having done much in the area where they were camped other than take a camp or lake pic or three. Then late afternoon after hiking all day arrive at the next camp spot and pretty much veg there, making camp, washing up, making dinner, taking a pic or three, staying up into the evening late, while not really exploring beyond short distances from their camp. Of course all went down to the requisite lake edge below camp and sat on the marmot boulder for several minutes absorbing their beautiful scene. Then repeat the above through most of their trips. Often their itineraries look like a chain of popular icons spread widely across a map that would include areas I would tend to create two or three week long backpacking trips for. Many of the icon locations are places more experienced backpackers layover or basecamp at with considerable activities about. Someone just passing through as a camp-body though hardly get to know these places.

As for the two areas mentioned, for the Sawtooth Pass zone there are 3 alpine lake basins of with strong alpine scenery, Columbine, Big Five, and Little Five. How one divides up time in those areas is your personal choice. The less strenuous choice to visit just Big Five and Little Five basins is to do an out and back over Sawtooth.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6074&p=41292&hilit=sawtooth#p41292

Total up and down doing the loop going over both Blackrock and Sawtooth is 9350 feet.

Total up and down doing the out and back just over Sawtooth is 8300 feet.

The first problem with Sawtooth is similar to those doing passes like Lamarck Col or Shepherd. Many groups seem to think they absolutely have to hike up and over the pass the first day as though there is nothing worthy on the west side. For some people, especially those ultralighters in great shape that is not an issue. However for most people carrying a classic backpacking load a day with more than 3000 feet of uphill vertical can become unpleasant. Thus a wiser strategy is to do the passes in two days instead of one. By camping the first day at Monarch Lake, one can get up at sunrise and while fresh hike up and over the final 1500 feet before the sun even shines over the ridge. Monarch has nice views to the west at sunset and gets optimal sunset light on clear days. From there one will arrive at Columbine in best early morning light where one could spend and hour or two before moving on and easily reach the lowest Big Five Lake mid pm. Spend the last night at Columbine. Easily could fill a week long trip.

The second problem with Sawtooth is the route many groups take on the west side of the pass through the sandy zone. Much of that sand can be avoided.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12873&p=96519&hilit=sawtooth#p96519

For Franklin Pass Hamilton Lakes has interesting colorful geology of interest. On the east side of the pass are a couple named lakes and a few no name lakes plus wonderful foxtail pines. On the hike out one can go all the way back. Thus a good 4 to 5 day trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Tomal,

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did a end of September loop in Sawtooth and out Franklin Pass (3 days); probably would reverse that if I did it again. Also a 4-day loop Fourth July; Farwell Gap, Silver Lake, Franklin Pass and out. A cornice blocks the trail over Franklin Pass early season. I climbed the cornice (had an ice axe). Both trips I had plenty of time to take photos and enjoy myself. The nice thing about a shorter trip is that your food weight is less.I have not done timber Gap-Blackrock.I did not think Sawtooth Pass was that bad. It was at the end of the season, and I was in great shape, and my pack was really light. The Farwell Gap trail was in poor condition - lots of recent avalanche debris.

I disagree that going long distances each day is miserable or you cannot also enjoy yourself. Personally, I like crack-of-dawn starts, long-mile days and do not mind big elevation gains. I carry a 20-22-pound pack for a 3-4 day trip. PS, age has little to do with this- I am old. If this is your style, neither pass out of Mineral King will be a big deal.

You can also get to Little and Big Five Lakes via Crescent Meadow. On a 6-day (6/24-6/29 2014) trip we started at Crescent Meadow, then to Hamilton Lake- Nine Lakes Basin- Little Five Lakes - return via Tablelands (cut off the Elizabeth Pass trail to Peradctyle Pass, and out to Wolverton (shuttle bus back to Crescent Meadow). This was a very scenic route. We also had time for several little day-hikes- upper lakes in Nine Lakes Basin, Big Five Lakes, lakes towards Blackrock Pass. The pace was rigorous, but I never felt overly rushed.

PS. It takes nearly an hour to get up to Mineral King. Coming from the Sacramento area, this adds nearly 2 hours before starting on the trail. There is a ranger station at Mineral King and you can get permits there, if you get there before closing time.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The OP has not indicated their experience level, or how many miles a day they can do, and more importantly, how many days is the trip planned for. The OP may have never done a couple of thousand of feet in a day, at altitude before.
Maybe it would be more prudent that we wait till the OP provides us with some more information about themself, before making any specific recommendations.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomalbritton
Topix Novice

Post by tomalbritton »

Any thoughts, suggestions about going over glacier pass and then xcountry to black rock pass?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Personally I think the old trail to glacier pass is the way to go but as Maverick said the trail is kind of cross country and should be consider off trail. From there one can go to Hands and knees pass or black rock pass once again Hand K is potentially class 3 and black rock is still some cross country to reach from spring lake but you can see black rock trail from spring lake. What hiking experience do you really have???
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
tomalbritton
Topix Novice

Post by tomalbritton »

I would classify myself as intermediate to experienced. Not expert. Most recently did off-trail in the Sawtooths last summer (we're from Alabama) but the topography there lends itself to easy route finding. Wasn't a big deal. Am taking 19 year old son and three friends with me and my son is as experienced as I am. He's hiked his whole life and with me.