Advice? North Fork Big Pine Creek, June 26

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jlersch47
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Advice? North Fork Big Pine Creek, June 26

Post by jlersch47 »

Hi friends.

I've been trying to get up to the Palisade Glacier for a few years now, even had permits the past two summers, but "life" kept getting in the way.

I've always backpacked much later in the season, but this is the the only time we could make it happen this summer.

Any advice for this trail at this time of year (June 26)? We'll head out early Sunday morning and spend 2 nights camping. We're capable of doing about 11 miles a day if necessary, but we're not really trying to rush or push it too hard this time. 7-10 miles a day would be better.

We are not snow hikers, so once we reach snowpack, we're turning around.

Any input is welcome :)

Thanks,
Jaclyn
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice? North Fork Big Pine Creek, June 26

Post by maverick »

Any advice for this trail at this time of year (June 26)? We'll head out early Sunday morning and spend 2 nights camping. We're capable of doing about 11 miles a day if necessary, but we're not really trying to rush or push it too hard this time. 7-10 miles a day would be better.
Your daily mileage will easily allow you to choose between several lakes, Summit and Fifth Lakes have good camping and even better scenery, both are within 7.5 miles from the trailhead. Snow could be an issue at higher elevations, but doubt it, you can also basecamp at Second Lake if it is an issue.
Palisades Glacier is about another 3 miles from Summit or Fifth Lake, the upper part of the route to the glacier will have snow, and is not maintained.
Here is one of members TR: https://calitrails.com/2014/05/29/hikin ... -big-pine/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Why turn around once you reach snowpack? The snow should be solid enough to walk on, and camp sites on the rock benches above Third Lake should have dry spots. The distances between lakes is short, so even if slogging through snow is slow, you could easily go to several lakes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Why turn around once you reach snowpack? The snow should be solid enough to walk on, and camp sites on the rock benches above Third Lake should have dry spots. The distances between lakes is short, so even if slogging through snow is slow, you could easily go to several lakes.
Some folks have a similar aversion to snow as they do to going off trail, not saying this is the case for the OP, but have met people on the trail, who have been turned around, even though the snow was only patchy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jlersch47
Topix Newbie

Post by jlersch47 »

Thanks for the advice maverick.

We're ok to walk in an inch or two of snow. Hiking through slush or knee-deep snow for several miles just isn't preferred by everyone in our group.

I'll be watching the boards more closely as June arrives to get a better idea of what the conditions are like up there.

Thanks!