Car Camping Eastern Sierra in early May? | High Sierra Topix  

Car Camping Eastern Sierra in early May?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Car Camping Eastern Sierra in early May?

Postby Gozerian138 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:06 am

Hello,
My sons want to go camping the first weekend of May and I have relatives who are going to be staying in the Mammoth Lakes area same weekend at a cabin. I would like to car camp relatively close to that area so that I can please everyone! Are there any good car camping options for the Eastern Sierra in early May? To avoid camping in the snow, would clearly need lower elevation outside of Mammoth Basin. (Would ideally like to camp somewhere fire pits) Maybe campgrounds outside of Bishop near the Owen’s River or near Tom’s Place? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Gozerian138
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: Car Camping Eastern Sierra in early May?

Postby maverick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:47 am

HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby SSSdave » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:29 pm

Some others could open early May but for now Holiday Campground is just a half mile off US395 and won't have snow.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 8&actid=29
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Postby markskor » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Just a FYI -
Mammoth Lakes Basin today - 4/20!
...9,000 ft.
Lake Mary - 9,000 ft.jpg
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby rlown » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:52 pm

Where's the puff of smoke to celebrate the day? :)
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby snevill » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:08 am

I stayed in the Big Pine Creek campground last year in April and it was probably my favorite campground that I've ever stayed at. Highly recommended and not too far from Mammoth.
snevill
Topix Novice

Postby mkbgdns » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:04 pm

currently closed, unlikely open in two weeks. remember, last winter featured the lowest snowpack on record...last year first week of may, hiked out of mosquito flat to 11,000 ft before being turned back by snow. a different year, this.
mkbgdns
Topix Acquainted

Postby Troutdog 59 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:52 pm

!st of May is typically a tad early for car camping up near Mammoth. All of the nearby National Forest campgrounds (Shady Rest, Convict, French Camp on Rock Creek, etc) I believe are still closed, but you might want to call and ask if they know when they might open up as the web cams dont show much snow at the Village Gondola or any at all at the 395/204 intersection. If those are all closed, just outside (northwest) of Bishop is a private camp called Browns Mill Pond or something like that, and I would bet it would be open. I've never stayed there, but I know others that have and they said it was fine.
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Postby SSSdave » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:35 am

Troutdog 59 wrote:!st of May is typically a tad early for car camping up near Mammoth. All of the nearby National Forest campgrounds (Shady Rest, Convict, French Camp on Rock Creek, etc) I believe are still closed, but you might want to call and ask if they know when they might open up ...

The above link I provided to Holiday Campground is to the only campground open now and all winter closest to Mammoth.
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Postby Gozerian138 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Great thanks for the great info guys! I called up to the Mammoth Visitors Center and the woman told me that Tuff and French Camp are opening this weekend. Looks like quite a bit of snow up in those mountains still! Great news, but not good outlook for early season camping!
Gozerian138
Topix Novice

Postby markskor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:36 am

Took a walk around Convict lake yesterday (just before the snow hit...BTW, just got 6" in town)...3.1 mile trail around lake was 99% snow free.
Noticed two cars/tents in the campground...Thinking it could be open - getting ready for opening day?
convict.jpg
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor

Postby hikerchick395 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:32 am

Yeah...I saw at least one host was set up at Convict Lake campground on April 17. Usually the campground opens for fishmas (fishing opener.)
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping