TR: Tableland/Alta Meadow Loop - 08/14

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BufordT
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Tableland/Alta Meadow Loop - 08/14

Post by BufordT »

Finally getting around to sharing some trips. I was looking for a short trip (2 nights) with easy access to higher country and no crowds. This loop through Tableland in Sequoia NP fit the bill. Started from Wolverton and went clockwise:
image.jpeg
Took the trail past the Watchtower and began the cross country portion near the Pear Lake ranger station. Spent the first night maybe a mile past the ranger station in complete solitude. The next day continued up to Tableland. Here is a view looking back on the enjoyable cross country route after gaining Tableland:
image.jpeg
Upon climbing up to Tableland, I was surprised to see another soul. It turned out to be the gentleman who maintains http://sierrahiker.com/, and, who I think was surprised to see me. After chatting for a bit with this super-knowledgeable fellow, we parted ways. I strolled across Tableland to go sit on the Kings-Kaweah Divide and see what I could see. I'll only provide a picture of Tableland while heading that direction, and not the view from the Divide:
image.jpeg
From the Divide, crossing back over Tableland, I picked out a route to Moose Lake. Standing on the shore of the lake creates an infinity pool-type effect, with the Mineral King area providing the backdrop. From articles I came across, apparently a celebrity got lost trying to find her way to Moose Lake about a decade ago.
image.jpeg
From Moose Lake, my planned cross country route took me over to Alta Meadow. Apparently a maintained trail used to exist between these two areas, and I even found a report that a good use-trail was still in existence. However, my track record with "good use-trails" proved consistent, and I couldn't find it. Maybe it's just me...Anyway, the big deal is to go west from the lake. One definitely does not want to be drawn into heading south down Buck Canyon - which is reported impassable and is really gnarly-looking when viewed from the High Sierra Trail. Here is the point where I crossed over a little ridge, this point is south-south-west of Moose Lake:
image.jpeg
Shortly after crossing that little ridge, Alta Meadow can be seen. I still had no luck finding a use-trail and probably took a more difficult route than necessary in an attempt not to lose too much elevation while traversing:
image.jpeg
Spent the night at Alta Meadow, where I believe another party had camped as well. I had used up a lot of daylight enjoying Tableland and the Divide, which resulted in setting up camp as darkness fell. Easy trail walk out the next day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Tableland/Alta Meadow Loop - 08/14

Post by sekihiker »

I remember meeting you out in the middle of nowhere and, yeah, I was surprised to run into someone else. Thanks for posting the report. It brings back good memories. I posted a report of my trip at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/ElizabethPassLoop/index.html
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Great report! Some of my favorite country, and easily accessed too.
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sheperd80 »

Great pics. I had no idea the sky was upside-down in that area :-) Thanks for sharing.

Im planning a 2 day loop there this summer. I was gonna head counter-clockwise through Alta to Moose then cut straight across to Pear and back out via the trail. I was thinking it would be easier to find Pear Lake coming from Moose as opposed to going clockwise and trying to find a trail at Alta Meadow to get back out. But it sounds like you had no trouble with that.

Any thoughts on one direction versus the other?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

There's plenty of resources here if you search Moose Lake or Tablelands to give you some ideas. I took a dayhike last year to overlook Moose coming from Alta Peak and I didn't find travel too difficult. This whole area is pretty forgiving in the way of route finding: not much talus and easy granite slabs (hence the name Tablelands). I will say I found the views looking down into Table Meadows to be great though. Plus, once you get to Alta peak, there's not much more climbing to do. This is the route I took counter-clockwise.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Any thoughts on one direction versus the other?
Please start a separate thread if you are interested in getting information. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org