TR: Up Mono Creek, Hopkins Pass, Tully Lake, N.F. Mono Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Up Mono Creek, Hopkins Pass, Tully Lake, N.F. Mono C

Post by balance »

Okay rlown, you win.

You high-tech people are always a step ahead. So what if I have a phone on my coffee table, where you put your finger in the holes in the dial, and spin it around to make a call. Think I'm ever going to lose that thing, or put it in my pocket and break it? :smirk:
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

balance wrote:Okay rlown, you win.

You high-tech people are always a step ahead. So what if I have a phone on my coffee table, where you put your finger in the holes in the dial, and spin it around to make a call. Think I'm ever going to lose that thing, or put it in my pocket and break it? :smirk:
rotary dial. sweet :) I don't carry a cell phone in the back country. I carry paper (maps.) copied.

Nice TR Asolthane!!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

So balance, when you dial, do you give your finger the free ride back?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I confess, I too tear out pages of guidebooks. Gives me an excuse to buy the new edition. One advantage is that the originals do not "bleed" when wet as does most ink used for printing.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Asolthane >>> "I did have my tackle with me and managed to catch a couple fish by tying some tipped to a stick and letting the wind carry it onto the water, but it didn't work very well."

As someone often much too busy with my photography pursuits, on trips I don't bring my rod and reel, I often will bring a little Ziplock bag with a length of old floating fly line, 10 feet of 4 lb test mono, and a few dry flies, a couple clear floats, a couple #12 hooks, and maybe one big woolly bugger with a couple small split shots, all of which weighs almost nothing. If I decide to do some fishing, will look for areas with willows, the branches of which can make reasonable poles. Of course even larger rainbow or goldens often make an appearance right by the shore in deep areas. And in brookie lakes fish are always grubbing about in the shallows besides being stupid. The trick is to not scare such fish maybe by hiding behind something like a bush. But such gear is much more useful in streams where one can dap flies on the surface straight down. The trick again is a slow stealthy approach.

David
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I confess, I too tear out pages of guidebooks. Gives me an excuse to buy the new edition. One advantage is that the originals do not "bleed" when wet as does most ink used for printing.
yeah.. I either print on a laserjet, or just put them in a ziplock. I like my original books, but I get your point. I've seen the inkjet smear before.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

yeah.. I either print on a laserjet, or just put them in a ziplock. I like my original books, but I get your point. I've seen the inkjet smear before.
Same here. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

rlown wrote:
balance wrote:Okay rlown, you win.

rotary dial. sweet :) I don't carry a cell phone in the back country. I carry paper (maps.) copied.

Nice TR Asolthane!!
It's not about winning.. it's about learning. This youtube video is for you, balance! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN00LxT-F-0
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Sorry to get so far off topic, but that video led to this one, which is really hilarious if you've ever used a rotary phone.

"KIDS REACT TO ROTARY PHONES": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuirEweZvM

Actually, the video is on topic at 4:20.

Peace.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

darn, most of us are old. Loved the kids comments.

We're not trying to divert from your TR,Asolthane. Sometimes, one thing leads to another.