Graveyard Lakes Basin | High Sierra Topix  

Graveyard Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
User avatar

Graveyard Lakes Basin

Postby mountaineer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:48 pm

Went into my favorite area in August. Graveyard Lakes has been my most frequented destination. This time, I did a nearly complete traverse of the ridges and peaks surrounding the basin. Unfortunately, my $450 lens took a dump and none of my pictures from the traverse turned out. However, before it went on the fritz, I was able to get some good reflection shots of the lakes. Here are some of them.
Image
Image
Image
Image

Click on http://www.sierramountainphotography.com/id29.html for the complete page of photos.



User avatar
mountaineer
Founding Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby Snow Nymph » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:59 am

You've got some beautiful photos! The sillouettes, and pics of your dad, reflections . . . awesome!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison


http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
User avatar
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Barbara & Mammoth Lakes, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby ndwoods » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:27 am

I've been to that area a bunch too. In fact, a trip thru Cascade Valley and over Silver Pass was my first high sierra trip back in the 60's!Grin
User avatar
ndwoods
Founding Member
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:48 am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby hikerduane » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:30 pm

The upper lake, have you ever hiked to the east end and looked towards Little Lakes Valley? All those named peaks to the west of it are gorgeous.
User avatar
hikerduane
Founding Member
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:58 am
Location: Meadow Valley, CA, Carson City, NV
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby SSSdave » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:35 pm

How about a story about how you damaged the lens. We photographers of course always worry about that and I am always interested in hearing about how it happens. I've dropped a few in my time though only damaged one fatally. Except it was a $900 lens.
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby Buck Forester » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:55 pm

Very nice images, I especially like the meadow shot! I think I'll camp there next summer. It looks like a sweet place to wait for magic lighting! I've been to the Devil's Bathtub a zillion times (it's such a nice, pretty, easy hike to take friends/family on a first backpacking trip), and I've climbed Graveyard Peak (even with my dogs!) and looked down on Graveyard Lakes, but I've never been there yet. I've always wanted to, but with so many destinations on my list I just haven't done it yet. I really would like to take a week+ and spend some time at Graveyard Lakes and then go beyond to Peter Pande Lake and all the lakes in the basins behind Graveyard Lakes.


http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=725678&size=lg
My dog Heidi on the summit of Graveyard Peak.
User avatar
Buck Forester
Founding Member
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Lincoln, CA (Sacramento area)
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby madeintahoe » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:53 pm

what beautiful pictures! I love the meadow.. So many pretty places in the Sierra to go to & not enough time. Buck I love the picture of Heidi!!
Thanks for sharing
:D
User avatar
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:58 am
Location: South Lake Tahoe, Meyers, CA.
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby mountaineer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:03 pm

hikerduane wrote:The upper lake, have you ever hiked to the east end and looked towards Little Lakes Valley? All those named peaks to the west of it are gorgeous.


Yes, I climbed straight to the summit of the peak above the upper lake. Mt. Tom and Basin Mtn. to the east seem so close you could touch them and the peaks to the west are spectacular.
User avatar
mountaineer
Founding Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby mountaineer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:04 pm

SSSdave wrote:How about a story about how you damaged the lens. We photographers of course always worry about that and I am always interested in hearing about how it happens. I've dropped a few in my time though only damaged one fatally. Except it was a $900 lens.


Don't know. It was a Sigma 17-35 and the power aperture ring had just gone bad. $150 to fix it.
User avatar
mountaineer
Founding Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby mountaineer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:08 pm

Buck Forester wrote:Very nice images, I especially like the meadow shot! I think I'll camp there next summer. It looks like a sweet place to wait for magic lighting! I've been to the Devil's Bathtub a zillion times (it's such a nice, pretty, easy hike to take friends/family on a first backpacking trip), and I've climbed Graveyard Peak (even with my dogs!) and looked down on Graveyard Lakes, but I've never been there yet. I've always wanted to, but with so many destinations on my list I just haven't done it yet. I really would like to take a week+ and spend some time at Graveyard Lakes and then go beyond to Peter Pande Lake and all the lakes in the basins behind Graveyard Lakes.


There is a great campsite amongst the trees just to the left of the edge of the picture with plenty of firewood around. Gorgeous place!

You didn't take your dogs to the actual summit of Graveyard did you? Those summit blocks had me a little nervous.

By far, the Graveyard Lakes is my favorite. The best time to go is after Labor Day in September. No skeeters or people. Kind of a bad time for thunderstorms though.
User avatar
mountaineer
Founding Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby mountaineer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments from everybody. It makes lugging the camera up there worthwhile to get positive feedback.
User avatar
mountaineer
Founding Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
Experience: N/A


Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests