Unique Places | High Sierra Topix  

Unique Places

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Unique Places

Postby maverick » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:15 pm

What places or features have you run across in your travels in the Sierra Nevada, that could have be located somewhere else too? Have you seen a peak or ridge line, that reminds you of something you have see in the Rockies, or any other mountain range/desert, other then the Sierra. The Bighorn Plateau has always been such a unique place for me, exactly for this reason, it's not something one would expect to see at 11,200 ft, or even much lower in the Sierra.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Unique Places

Postby TehipiteTom » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:56 am

Simpson Meadow comes to mind. To me it really feels like the Old West--like some park in the Rockies a hundred years ago, rather than the Sierra today.

Funny thing: when I searched Flickr for "Simpson Meadow" my search results included photos of a meadow in Rocky Mountain National Park, by a guy named Gary Simpson (hence their appearance in the search). And those photos really do look a lot like Simpson Meadow.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby sparky » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 am

Convict Canyon is one of the most unique and interesting areas of the Sierra. I am not sure I can say it reminds me of somewhere else, but I am sure there are other places on earth with the swirling colors and striking contrasts seen in the rocks there. It is truly a psychedelic canyon.
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby joshuacourter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Headwaters of the Little Kern River in the Golden Trout Wilderness is one that comes to mind. It is a unique place and nothing quite like it within the GTW. The first 3 miles starting south of Farewell Gap provide colors from metamorphic rocks of browns, reds, pale pinks, whites, mixing in with the contact between igneous rocks. To top of the geology the valley and trail is along the Farewell Gap fault line. Moss and grass riparian areas near springs. High elevation lakes surround the area and outlet down into the small valley that is the headwaters of the Little Kern River. Depending when you go, the air can be filled with the aroma of wildflowers including patches of wild onions. Very few people go here and I have always found solitude.

Thunder Basin at the Headwaters of the Kern River, specifically Lake South America. Went there for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed the ruggedness of the peaks that surround you. Several water bodies all coming together to enter the Kern River canyon. I was unable to stay long due to a thunderstorm (yes, living up to its name) so we had to descend in elevation. Would love to go back and make a base camp there for a few days.
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted

Postby maverick » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Will also add Benson Lake to the list, how many Sierra lakes have such a beach, none.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby dougieb » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:29 pm

I remember seeing Red Slate Mountain for the first time, from around Tully Lake, and I thought- wow that is magnificent. It is just so smooth and red. I don't know if it is necessarily "out of place," but it was so different from the granite I was used to and it stands out in my mind.
dougieb
Topix Acquainted

Postby Wandering Daisy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 am

Similar to Red Slate Mountain- the upper reaches of Convict Lake

Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby oldhikerQ » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:00 am

Agree with Mav about Benson Lake. Was completely blown away on my first trip there after walking through the trees to the white sand beach. I have never seen anything approaching that in the Sierra.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldhikerQ
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby Cross Country » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:25 pm

I know you think you've seen this too many times but I think it's appropriate again
Attachments
Benson Mike fishing.jpg
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby maverick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:14 pm

I know you think you've seen this too many times but I think it's appropriate again

Perfect shot, especially if you scrolled up to the shoreline on the picture, so only the lake and the young man is showing, you would never even think that this was taken in the Sierra or even in the mountains.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby balzaccom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:19 pm

I like this shot from the dining room of our campsite at Ranger Lake in SEKI/Jennie Lakes

And I've always loved Matthes Lake

And the view over Virginia Canyon from Soldier Lake:

And the view coming over the pass to Ten Lakes Basin:

And Dewey Point.

And Thousand Island Lake. And...

Oh, forget it. Too many good places to choose!
Balzaccom

check out our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
balzaccom
Topix Fanatic

Postby MN2CAPisco » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:38 pm

One of my favorite spots on the Meetup trip last summer was Lonely Lake, where I was surprised to find a cozy beach ripe for lounging after a long day. Jumping in the lake was more invigorating than refreshing, but definitely one of the fonder memories I have in my wanderings through the Sierra. Haven't been to Benson Lake so not trying to poke holes in its unique-ness, just made me think of this again.

ImageDIdn't pack the beach towel

Never mind the stitching errors, but here's a pano as well:
http://www.360cities.net/image/on-the-shores-of-lonely-lake-beach-california
MN2CAPisco
Topix Acquainted

Next

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping