Southern Sierra suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Southern Sierra suggestions

Post by overheadx2 »

Headed up with the wife and dog early Friday and need to meet friends in California City ( Mojave area) Saturday night. I plan to do a couple of relatively easy day hikes / snow shoeing on the east side like lone pine or independence area, but was looking for something that I haven't done already. Looked at going up to Olancha peak, Isabella, red rock canyon or maybe tehachapi areas and was looking for suggestions.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Southern Sierra suggestions

Post by zacjust32 »

Owen's Peak out of Indian Wells is surprisingly difficult for only being a couple miles. Just north of Ridgecrest and not far from Red Rock.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Southern Sierra suggestions

Post by gary c. »

I have heard that the PCT where it crosses the 178 headed north at Walker Pass has great views. Probably different this time of year but I was told to carry your own water because it is scarce.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray