PCT Section Hike - JMT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: PCT Section Hike - JMT

Post by AlmostThere »

NoBoHiker wrote:
Anyways, my take away based on your feedback is that I won't ship to Muir Ranch, I'll rather plan for foot until the day before arriving at Reds and chances are that I'll find something at Muir Ranch in the Hiker box I can nibble on, but I won't rely on it - I'll probably get to have Oatmeal with Ketchup ;-)
The Muir Ranch hiker box when I was there in late July was 15 5 gallon buckets with the contents sorted into specific items, toiletries, clothing, books, and misc. One bucket of instant potatoes, another of olive oil, another of oatmeal....

The resuppliers looked mighty happy tho. I've never seen a box of cookies vanish in just a few seconds like that before. You won't find cookies in the buckets....
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: PCT Section Hike - JMT

Post by NoBoHiker »

The Muir Ranch hiker box when I was there in late July was 15 5 gallon buckets with the contents sorted into specific items, toiletries, clothing, books, and misc. One bucket of instant potatoes, another of olive oil, another of oatmeal....

The resuppliers looked mighty happy tho. I've never seen a box of cookies vanish in just a few seconds like that before. You won't find cookies in the buckets....
;-)
Thanks for sharing - wow, a 15 bucket hiker box! I guess folks definitively tend to overpack then..
RE cookies: I'll bring plenty of Chocolate and then bring some extra, thanks!