Trip Advice: Wolverton to Onion Valley in 6 days

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
zwoij
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice: Wolverton to Onion Valley in 6 days

Post by zwoij »

This is all very helpful to know.

Do walk-up permits work the same for trailheads that are actually in SEKI, or is that just how Inyo Nat'l Forest runs it? The SEKI website says, "You may, however, obtain permits the afternoon prior to your hike (after 1:00pm)." I just want to be sure that applies to walk-up permits, not just reserved. (I think Tehipite Tom may have answered this above, now that I look more closely).

This is in case we decide on a west side start and end to avoid the driving to the east side, which would probably be Wolverton to Road's End. If they give them early, we'll aim to be there by 1:00pm and if there happen to be any left for that same day (not likely on the Lakes Trail I'm sure) we'll start hiking. If not, we'll pick up a permit for the next day and spend the afternoon Lodgepole/Wolverton.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: Wolverton to Onion Valley in 6 days

Post by maverick »

There are plenty of wilderness permits available still for July 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 12, 13, and then Aug 18 and the again at the end of August, that you could reserve ahead of time thru rec.gov.

Edit:
SEKI NP:
During this time period, there is a $10 per permit, plus a $5 per person wilderness permit fee.
Permits are issued on the day of your hike by trailhead rangers during normal operating hours.
The rangers provide important information about trail conditions in the area. No night drops are permitted. You may, however, obtain permits the afternoon prior to your hike (after 1:00pm).
Approximately three-quarters of the daily trail quota (see trail descriptions) may be reserved in advance. The remaining spaces are available on a first-come-first-served basis. The permit fee applies to both walk-up and reserved permits; and both walk-up and reserved permits must be picked up at the issuing station closest to your trailhead.
Inyo NF:
Walk in permits must be requested in person at the visitor centers. During the quota season (May 1 to November 1) walk in permits cannot be issued more than one day before the entry date. Permits are issued for same day entry or for next day entry; you must enter on the date stated.
• Walk-in permits are subject to space available* at the time the permit request is processed.
• Person requesting the permit will be listed as the group leader. Leader must be a person going on the trip and must be in person at the visitor center.
• Group leader can request a permit for the whole group; all members of the group do not need to be present.
• Leader responsibility includes the terms in Permit Policy
• Walk in permit cannot be held by phone or web.
• No night box service for walk in permits.
• Walk in permit is free.
*The amount of space available for walk-in permits may vary. For all trails except Mt Whitney, 40% of the quota space is saved for walk-in permit requests. In addition, space from any reservations that did not fully book, cancelations, group size reductions, and reservations that are not confirmed or picked up (No Show) will be made available for walk-in requests. Some specific trails are identified as non-quota and are only limited by maximum group size

During the quota season
The following permits can be issued starting at 8:00 am:

Walk-in permits for same day entry.
Reserved permits for same day entry, or up to 2 days before entry date.
Non-quota permits for same day, or up to 2 days before entry date.

The following permits can be issued starting at 11:00 am:

Walk-in permits for next day entry.
No show for same day entry.
Trips using Trail Crest exit to end at Whitney Portal are issued based on entry date.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org