Thousand Island Lakes 10/14-18/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
htrout
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Thousand Island Lakes 10/14-18/15

Post by htrout »

Husband and I hiked out of June Lake area for a three or four night hike up to Thousand Island Lakes. That late in the season we just walked up and got our free permit. We chatted with the Ranger and another couple about the 20% chance of rain that was in the forecast for what would be our Day 2. It didn't seem too bad of a system. So we camped in June Lake and then set off the next morning.

View ascending over Silver Lake.

Headed up in the early morning light. With blue skies and 68 degree weather.

This rail trips me out! It is SOOOOO steep. Its like a rollercoaster or something. I'd love to ride in one of the little cars someday.

Just more pretty views...

Starting to get some cloud formations...

This is now 11:00 or so....

Got to Clark Lakes mid-afternoon for some fishing. Camping was easy with many places to pick from. There wasn't a single person along this entire trip.

We didn't get any rain until 6:30 am the next morning. We had some good winds in the night, but nothing to keep us up at all. The rain started pretty light for about 30 minutes and then the skies unleashed and it DUMPED rain. So, we stayed in the tent and made coffee in our vestibule. The rain persisted until around 11:30. We stayed dry in our tent and were glad we brought our bigger UL4 tent so we could sit up and hang out. We finally emerged around noon to a very wet world and snow capped peaks. It really wasn't very cold, just damp. We ended up loitering at our campsite for a couple days and doing a short day trek to Thousand Island Lake. We didn't see a single person until the last 3 miles as we headed back into June Lake.

...we didn't catch a single fish the entire time. We could see them - lots of them - swimming around out there. But not even one chased the lure. Bummer.

When we got back to June Lake we stayed at one of the lodges and showered and cleaned up. When we went to dinner we learned that I5 had flooded and closed and California got whomped by a pretty good sized storm. Crazy to think that hubby and I were just chillin out in the tent through it all.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Thousand Island Lakes 10/14-18/15

Post by gary c. »

Loved the pictures and report. Thanks for sharing with us.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray