Who owns this lake? Yosemite or Emigrant?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Who owns this lake? Yosemite or Emigrant?

Post by yosehiker »

While I think that the boundary is still determined by the legal description and therefore the watershed boundary, I found this interesting old map showing the boundary change.

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet ... ional-Park
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Yosehiker,

Thanks, that map was already sent to the parties involved.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Update:

All the information forwarded to the agencies are now being given to the Stanislaus NF and Yosemite Lands Managers to figure out where the lake belongs, there is also a meeting slated with the USGS next week, in which this boundary issue will be brought up, the NF will also be requesting the USGS for any surveys from 1905 to confirm the exact/official boundary line designate by congress in 1905. Will be getting updates periodically, when there has been some sort of decision made, will update here, but expect this to be a long, drawn out process.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The Stanislaus NF Wilderness Manager will be sending out a team this summer, including some folks from the USGS, to confirm the location, and based on the outlet flow, they will then do any adjustments/updates on their maps (next year) accordingly, it will be to late for this years map print cycle.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mav, are you attending?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mav, are you attending?
Nope, no need.

bigd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bigd »

As the OP, I decided to go visit this lake over the Memorial holiday. TR will be forthcoming in another thread.

Looks like the lake belongs to Emigrant as the outlet flows towards Huckleberry Lake and Cherry creek.
Google Earth.png
Outlet.JPG
Mystery Lake.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Looks like the lake belongs to Emigrant as the outlet flows towards Huckleberry Lake and Cherry creek.
Sounds good.The Land Manager for Stanislaus NF and land surveyor's from the USGS will be going there in July, they then will be making an official determination on who/where the lake belongs. :)

k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

Fish or fish-less?
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
bigd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bigd »

Fishless. The anura worshipers have done a good job of favoring one species over another in most of the lakes and creeks of this area.