Can you buy a used National Park annual pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Can you buy a used National Park annual pass?

Post by balzaccom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The cost of an annual pass is well worth it if you use the parks a lot. It is too bad there is not a bit of a discount for low income. I now have the free "senior" pass. Although I appreciate it being free, I would be willing to pay half price if the other half discount could go to a low income family. The pass is good for a car-load of people. So if you go with others it is a better deal.

Put into perspective of other costs, I thin the interagency annual pass is a good deal. The California State Park Pass is way more expensive. I just spent $100 getting my teeth cleaned. Just skip this once and you have a park pass. Or haircuts? Go without a few. Before I qualified for the Senior Pass, I bought a pass every year. It was one expense that I did not feel bad about because I feel it goes to support the public lands. Even when I had little money, I would never think of "cheating" the system. In my mind I sort of figured it was a donation to a good cause.
Great post, Daisy. Us, too. We never mind paying for the stuff we love...and we love the idea of using some of the money we've saved with our senior pass to pay for someone else who might not be able to afford it otherwise.

We take our company (20+ people ach year)_ for a camping trip every year in the Sierra--sometimes a national park, sometimes a state park or national forest. We pay all the associated fees for the employees and their families/friends/significant others. We've done it for 22 years now. And over the years, we've seen quite a few "hesitant" or even "resistant" campers turning into enthusiastic ones. Best of all, at least two of our employees got so enthusiastic that they organized additional trips for their own friends to turn them on to the idea. Our parks need all the friends they can get!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by KevinDo »

DAVELA wrote:zion like arches is a zoo and i cant stomach the traffic etc...
I prefer the backroads, backcountry of canyonlands,capitol reef,mexican hat,mon.valley and a ton of blm land.I dont think i spend much time at all within the parks probably more blm land that borders them.
It can be...but you just gotta know where to go! It was relatively empty when I went

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Kevin, care to share a TR with pictures in the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

maverick wrote:Kevin, care to share a TR with pictures in the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section. :nod:

I never knew there was a beyond the sierra section! :eek: Hahaha will do!

-Kevin
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

Mav,
I never heard of de na zin.Looks grt.
Ive been to 4corners but never ventured into NM ,though shiprock has been calling me for yrs.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

maverick wrote:
Say what? Zion is an absolutely incredible place with so much to see and do....
Totally agree, the Narrows, Angels Landing, Checkerboard Mesa, Emerald Pools, Great White Throne, and the secret Subway are just some of the few!
Get out of the main Virgin River Canyon with wall to wall crowds and the rest of Zion is empty. We spent two days on the Kanab Plateau and did not see another soul on the trails.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=