Vogelsang vs Glen Aulin - day hike from HSC area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Vogelsang vs Glen Aulin - day hike from HSC area

Post by rlown »

jmherrell wrote:One thing I like to do when at Glen Aulin is to hike up to Wildcat Point to get a better view of the area. I agree there is much more to do at Vogelsang but this may be peak water year.
+1
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

One thing I like to do when at Glen Aulin is to hike up to Wildcat Point to get a better view of the area.
Yes, that is another major highlight, but unfortunately the OP did not give us feedback on her and the groups experience, so it was not recommended.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Not enough slack time in her proposed schedule to do it unless a day or two were added. But I agree with you Mav. Gauging from her intro post, probably not in the cards.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

One more thing...be sure to check the skeeter reports on this site before you go. That might make your decision easier :)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This year, at the end of June, the best day-hiking may be in Yosemite Valley. Honestly, I think at peak water flow, there are more spectacular sights in the Valley and hikes from the Valley, than anything in the Tuolumne region. A hike up the Merced, camping between Little Yosemite Valley and the Merced HS camps (or at the campground at the Merced HSC) is a classic waterfall adventure. Yes, it can get crowded until you pass Little Yosemite Valley. Or even stay at Camp4 and day-hike from there. For example, Four Mile Trail- Panorama Trail, back via Mist Trail and JMT to Happy Isles. If doing the Merced hike, you can even make it a loop by cutting over to the JMT from Echo Valley on your return. Maybe you have already done all the hikes in the Valley, and in that case, I would vote for Glen Aulin, simply for the waterfalls. But even though I have done the Merced River hike a million times, it is my favorite every year at peak runoff. I never get bored with this hike.

Another thought- probably not likely, but Tioga Pass may not even be open to overnight parking.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I've been through both places twice. My vote is definitely for Glen Aulin!

A lot of it is subjective. I find the trail to Vogelsang via Rafferty Creek tedious and boring, and the somewhat longer way there via Lyell Canyon not much better. Whereas the trail to Glen Aulin is gorgeous all the way. Huge meadow (Tuolumne), beautiful watercourses, waterfalls, photo opps of peaks behind ponds...Lots of eye candy on that trail. The trail doesn't have all that much elevation loss, so I wouldn't worry about that. I remember it as a stroll.

Then there is the question of what you do after you get there. I hope you do have two nights, so you can adequately explore on the layover day. Here again my vote is for Glen Aulin, because the waterfalls just down the way (Waterwheel, etc.) are a must-see in Yosemite, and they will be close to their fullest/best at that time. The stuff above Vogelsang is what I might call nice, but not a must-see. And, Vogelsang is higher so it is more likely to still be snowbound in places in late June.

The caveat is that I've never camped at or immediately near Glen Aulin, so I don't know that situation.

- Elizabeth
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I think Glen Aulin is a great two night trip especially for those who haven't much backpacking experience. It is an easy hike in. Spend two nights at the Glen Aulin backpackers campground. It isn't crazy busy in early June. Spend the 2nd day hiking down past Waterwheel falls. Great trip to shoot some HD video and photos. I did this trip back in 2002 as part of a trip where we did Vogelsang, Lewis Creek, Merced Lake, Bunnel Point, Half Dome, Tenaya Lake, Murphy Creek, 2 nights at Glen Aulin. We crossed a lot of snow going from Vogelsang to Lewis Creek. The falls all way down to Waterwheel falls were most impressive. If Waterwheel falls were part of Yosemite valley easily available to car visitors, it would be packed. We only saw 2 other groups on our day hike to Waterwheel falls.
Jeff